Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank is too cool
Hi,
I have a tank that I just cant seem to get the temps up where they should be. I have to under tank heaters on the tank one on the back and one on the bottom but just cant seem to get the temps up. Any ideas how I can get the heat up?
I live in the Seattle area and its a bit cold up here so the room temps in the house are about 68 but the tank still seems to stay in the mid to high 60's which I know is a bit cold. I do find the frogs up higher in the plants getting closer to the lights and they do hang around the back a bit more so i think there are some areas where it is a bit warmer.
Hi.
What are your temperatures in the tank, with lights on and lights off.
What sie tank is it?
What type of lights are you using?
Also, what type of thermometer are you using?
What are your temperatures in the tank, with lights on and lights off. --- Around 62
What sie tank is it? 30 Gal Cube
What type of lights are you using? -- Fluoresent hood that came with the tank.
Also, what type of thermometer are you using? Digial probe with a suction cup on it to mount to the inside.

I know there are some warm spots near the back as that is where they are at most the time. I would just like to get the whole tank up to 75 if at all possible. I tried putting a light that was hotter on the top of the tank but cracked the glass. :-(
You mentioned that you were using the flourescent hood that came with the tank. Do you mean that you are using the flourescent strip light? You do have a solid glass lid?
Is there a 'warmer' location in the house that you might be able to move the tank to?
Raising the temp in the house, and adding a power compact light are the only things that come to mind to help raise the temp.
If you have a false bottom for your tank and have easy acess to it you could try using an aquarium heater in the false bottom. It should alow you to adjust the temp. to what you want and cause the water to evaporate through the soil raising the temp. throughout the rest of the tank.
You mentioned that you were using the flourescent hood that came with the tank. Do you mean that you are using the flourescent strip light? You do have a solid glass lid?
Yes a Flourescent Light its the one that came with the tank. Glass Top Standard glass top for a fish tank.
Is there a 'warmer' location in the house that you might be able to move the tank to? No. The house has 3 levels so there is not a reall warm place to move it until winter is gone.
Raising the temp in the house, and adding a power compact light are the only things that come to mind to help raise the temp.

Center of the tank temp is 67 - 68 checked over the weekend.
67 to 68 is not a problem at all. Even 62 like you mentioned earlier is not a problem either.
I would say a space heater in the room could help a bit. Don't put it directly facing the tank within a foot or anything, but in the room maybe a couple of feet away, it would raise the temps some.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020