Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

The "Whats for Dinner" thread!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Whats for Dinner" thread!
As I became an adult Cooking has always been a big deal to me. Theres so many possibilities, flavor, texture, flavorgasms!

I grew up poor, rarely eating and when I did it was .....icky to say the least?

I thought it would be a neat idea for everyone to share what they are having for dinner each night. My recipies have dwindled since we started dieting but every once in a while I still get to make something worth sharing.

Tonight, Beef yakatori and vegtable kabobs basted with a fresh ginger teriyaki sauce....I ran out of regular soy sauce and had to resort to my expensive kishibori shoyu soy sauce.

[Image: IMG_1930.jpg]

sorry no after cooking pics....didn't last that long :mrgreen:

and to wash it down

[Image: IMG_1931.jpg]

Definatly put hoegaarden to shame
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
scary...I'm doing k-bobs right the F now as well....

Shrimp bobs and Pork bobs

No beer though....I don't drink beer when I eat - at all. Not even beer and wings or pizza. Weird huh ?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Tonight was homemade pizza night.

First one was a BBQ Chicken pizza I made using leftover chicken from Friday night's kabobs, 2 bbq sauces, red onions, bacon, cream and mozz cheese. I have never made it before and it was delicious.\
[Image: IMG_2933.jpg]

Second one was a turkey pepperoni, red onion and mozz cheese. It was tasty as well.
[Image: IMG_2934.jpg]

And this is what they were cooked in. I just got through with the table and put it together this weekend. It is all cedar with 4 coats of spar urethane on it and a piece of granite sunk into the top for a hot plate.
[Image: IMG_2930.jpg]

Grilling/smoking is my other passion.
Scott Bryant
Very nice set up! You will have to come by my place and build me one along with a brick pizza oven! I used to be really into grilling and smoking. Unfortunatly Rib eye and bbq ribs every other night really packed on the pounds...I only get red meat like once a week now. I am getting soooo tired of Chicken and Turkey. Those pizza look amazing though! When we do pizza either my wife makes the dough or we will do lower carb versions with tortillas for the crust.

If I want to go super low carb I make portabella cap pizzas

[Image: IMG_1133.jpg]

take a mushroom cap, wipe it off (dont wash!) preheat oven to 400 , scrape the gills and gunk out, poke a few holes in the bottom with a toothpic to allow water to drain out while it bakes otherwise you end up with a soggy pizza.

Rubbing the cap down with garlic is a bonus.

bake just the mushroom caps for 7 minutes.While baking mix egg white in with cheese (fat free cheese doesnt like to melt. This helps) Pull caps from oven and fill with sauce cheese and toppings. turn stove to high broil. Broil caps for 3 min or until cheese starts to brown.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Portabella cap pizzas sound great. I have my Egg set up like a brick oven. I use a plate setter (which is a pizza stone with legs) right above the fire, then a couple fire bricks for spacers, then a 23" pizza stone on top of that. This way, the cooking surface is farther up in the dome and not so close to the fire.
I love ribeys and ribs, but yeah, not the healthiest. If you are getting burned out on chicken and turkey, throw some pork tenderloins in the mix, they are low fat, tender, and take marinades very well.
Scott Bryant
yea, wife has a few in the fridge. Shes making a maple apple cider pork roast some time this week.
Do you like seafood? I've been on a kick lately with grilling scallops, shrimp, and lobster (when I can afford it).
Scott Bryant
I love shellfish and sushi but the wife does not and my youngest has a shellfish allergy. ..I don/t get any very often unless I am on a lunchbreak.
Tonight is Mexican lasagna...ehh, I wanted turkey tacos.
Beats mine, I had to scarf down a leftover piece of pizza from last night before I went and played 6:30 & 7:30 softball games in this nice heat we've been having.
Scott Bryant
D3monic Wrote:Tonight is Mexican lasagna....

I'm Italian, that sounds sacrilegious
Tonight we had meatloaf.

Mexican lasagna sounds sacrilicious Smile
I picked up 3 smoked chickens from the local jerky store, something the jerky guy did special this past weekend. 5lb birds, best chicken I ever had, but, my wife really pulled it off the next night. She is an exceptional cook, always finds ways to take something normal and make it way better. She took the left over smoked chicken and made chicken enchiladas with it.
Good stuff, I dont have a smoker, but I'm thinking about it now.
Derek
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs
Oooo that does sound yummy! I have only had smoked chicken once but it was to die for!

Tonight is a red meat night, 16 oz grass fed aged ribeye from Wholefoods. Been maranading for 5 hours tonight.

[Image: IMG_1974.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1976.jpg]

definatly blows my diet but you need to every once in a while righ?

Ohh btw, its hard to find a good steak sauce that does not have high fructose corn syrup or "Corn Sugar" as they are now getting away with calling it.

Heres two of my favs:

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/me ... ode=581201

http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/shop/sp ... 31104.html

both can be found at whole foods. Goodalls is like A1's much sexier big brother.
Tonight is diner food... steak and eggs with a stack of buttermilk pancakes.
.Riko
If you want to try a good steak sauce do a search on Arizona pepper products. My wife gets me a 12 pack of their sauce every Christmas, this year I got the sampler pack, it had some spicy barbecue in it, and a steak sauce, it was awesome. I like heat, but not so much that you lose the flavor. I've tried all different kinds of sauces, theirs is some of the best I've found IMO. Never found it in a store though...
Derek
on payday I will have to try and order that Arizona Gunslinger Steak Sauce and see how it is, you should try that goodalls. Its a bitch to get out of the bottle but its damn good.
And this just in...Im working late and my wife just sent me a text.
"I grilled some cod with spicy olive oil, lemon juice, sliced garlic cloves and diced jalapenos."
ill check out the goodalls links from eos too.
Good eats im sure.
If you need sauce on your steak, try making a herb butter and put a pat on after grilling. Or my favorite, put a little gargonzola cheese on top the last couple minutes of grilling. Either of these paired with a good red rub like Dizzy Pig Cowlick, and you can't go wrong.
Scott Bryant
well....we have our forum "foodies" identified.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020