Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total Newb!
Hey everybody. I have been searching through the site for info but have a few basic (dumb) questions. I recently inherited a little red frog and the aquarium he lives in but did not get any instructions or information about my new friend. He is a few years old now (i think 3-4) and had another green frog living with him (who recently "disapeared" before i got the tank).

I posted a pic of the tank any my new friend. The tank had a plug for the light(flourescent) and another one that i dont know what it is for(heat rock?). I was also given a culture of fruit flies(which i give him some once a day). If anyone can offer insight about what kind of tank i have set up or tips on the care of my little red guy and his living quarters, we would both appreciate it!
How do i check the temp/humidity, should i add water, how many fruite flies to add...things like that!
Speedy_Dart Wrote:Hey everybody. I have been searching through the site for info but have a few basic (dumb) questions. I recently inherited a little red frog and the aquarium he lives in but did not get any instructions or information about my new friend. He is a few years old now (i think 3-4) and had another green frog living with him (who recently "disapeared" before i got the tank).

I posted a pic of the tank any my new friend. The tank had a plug for the light(flourescent) and another one that i dont know what it is for(heat rock?). I was also given a culture of fruit flies(which i give him some once a day). If anyone can offer insight about what kind of tank i have set up or tips on the care of my little red guy and his living quarters, we would both appreciate it!
How do i check the temp/humidity, should i add water, how many fruite flies to add...things like that!

Hi Speedy,

You probably want to get a temp/humidity gauge until you get an idea about what the average temperatures are. You can get a an analogue one or a digital at your local petstore. I think the digital ones are neat since you can get the min/max, but they don't do well under constant moisture. You need to keep the humidity up between 60-80% and the temps from mid 70s to low (not mid) 80s.

You probably need to add water in the form of spraying with a spray bottle. I recommend using reverse osmosis water which you can get from a water machine at the grocery store for about 30 cents a gallon. Keep in mind you will have to drain some water periodically. A good way is to use some aquarium tubing and a turkey baster.

You need to figure out how to make your own cultures and I would get some spring tails. You have to eyeball the number of flies. I just try to make sure that the majority are gone the next morning. Also, you will want to get fresh vitamin supplements as soon as possible.

It looks like a pumilio to me, but I only have tincs. Check around the Internet for more information, or if you can't find what you need send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction.

Marcos
yes, I agree it looks like a pumilio, most likely man creek morph.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020