Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upright 10 gallon tanks?
Hi, I’m new to this board and just researching keeping dart frogs. I’ve cross posted this message on Kingsnake so I apologize if you’ve seen it already.

I have a good space where I can place three upright 10 gallon aquariums as dartfrog vivariums. How do you guys feel about these types of set-ups? Do they provide enough space for a pair of dart frogs. My initial plan is to make one a Spartan setup for froglet grow-out/quarantine. The other two will be more elaborate setups, which will, obviously be more difficult to sterilize should something go wrong. Each will be a false bottom setup with a pump, heater, water feature, and overhead mist system The game plan is to buy several froglets and let them mature together. Once a pair is identifiable they will be moved to one of the more elaborate upright 10 gallon vivs.

All thoughts greatly appreciated,
Chris
I think the size is fine. If you try to raise lots of froglets in a 10g you might have some loss from competition. Others on the board would have better insight on that issue then me.

Mike
Hi Chris,
Welcome.
There are probably more ten gals used for vivs (breeding) than any other size. That being said, I always say the bigger, the better. I am sure you will have luck with the tens, larger vivs have the possibility for more micro climates which equates into more comfort zones. I don't like to use a viv less than 20 gal myself (and will top out at 550gal...soon...I hope).
I hate to sound like a broken record, but if your absolute lowest temps in the room you will be keeping the vivs does not drop below the mid fifties, there is no need for a heater. Heat kills Darts much faster than cold.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020