Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

What Temperature is best for a viv ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Temperature is best for a viv ?
Hi gang.
My name is Steve and I am new to this hobby. Hook, line and sinker once I saw a friends frog. So far I can tell this is going to cost me a small fortune!! ha ha. Is there a froggers anonymous or a patch I can wear?
Just kidding, I think this is going to be a lot of fun. :roll:
I have spent weeks researching and built 2 vivs. One 20 gal. tall and a 29 that is vertical. I will let them set for a month and get some frogs from the frog Days in Arizona next month. My question is simple, I hope. I put a submersible water heater under the false bottom in both tanks (accessible) and the water temp is at 80 in the vertical tank. Both tanks have waterfalls with a stream through the landscape. The surrounding temp in the tank is only 71-73. ( cold here in Colorado!!) Will this temp of 80 degrees in the water harm the frogs? I know 70-75 air temp is good in the tank, but how high can the water temp be?
Thanks for anyones help. Looking forward to seeing some of you in Arizona next month. I will post pics later.
Hi Steve.
Sounds like you have jumped in with both feet!

Are you using a good quality digital thermometer to measure your temps?
Also how long have the tanks been up and running? The water will eventually warm the land and help to increase the overall temp of the tank.

Any ideas as to what frogs you will be putting in these tanks?

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
www.rainforesthabitats.com
Thanks Cindy for the response.
Yes, I am using a digital thermometer for temp and humidity. The first tank (20 gal.) has been running for about 3 weeks. The 29 gal. has only been running for one week, it is the one with the higher water temp.

I want to put D. Leucs in the 20 gal. because it is "lowlands" and not too sure what I will put in the 29, it is vertical for a climbing frog. Any suggestions?

So what is your answer to my temp question> Is 80 too high?
Steve,
it is interesting that your tank temp is that much lower than the water
temp. We just finished a large tank that we put an inline heater on the external cannister filter. Before we installed the heater the tank temp measured at ground level was 69 degrees during the day with lights on. Water temp was 71 degrees. Since we installed the inline heater the water temp is 75.5 degrees ( which is what we set it at), and the tank temp is up to 74 degrees.
As for if the water temp is too high for the frogs, I would say no, but I would be inclined to lower it to 78 or so. The frogs are cold blooded so they adapt to the surrounding temps, plus they usually do not spend a lot of time in the water ( however it will somewhat depend on which frogs you choose).

I think leucs would be a great choice for the 20. For the 29 vertical, imitators, or vents would do well in that vertical oreintation.

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
Cindy,
I think the difference in temps has a lot to do with the fact that this is Colorado and it is 20 degrees outside and I keep my house cold (conserve you know!!) at 64 degress. In other words, the temp outside the tank has more to do with the inside temp.
I have been telling myself that if I want to have this hobby and have healthy frogs, I need to turn up the heat!! Or is there another way to safely heat the tank? Infrared maybe?
Thanks,
Steve
Steve,
what type of lighting are you using on the tanks?

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
Cindy,
I just today changed the flourescent bulb to a plant bulb (20 watt, 750 lumens, 24") and added a 60 watt incandescent reptile light. Both at the top, outside of the tank. The temp at the bottom is now 70 degrees and at the canopy it is 75 degrees. This should do it.

Steve
Steve,
is that going to be enough light for that 29 gal vertical? I was thinking PC ( power compacts ). Should put out enough light to get to the bottom of that tank, plus it will put out some heat.
Have you checked your humidity in the tanks?

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
Cindy,
Being a newbie, I am not sure! It looks nice and bright, but that means nothing. Where do I get a PC unit?

Yes, my humidity is at 95%, and the temp is now at 75 degrees
Steve,
there are places on line that you can order power compact lights, they can be a little pricey though.
Here are a couple of links:
www.petsolutions.com
www.thatfishplace.com
Or if you are handy, and can follow directions, and have a few basic tools, we get our lights from AH Supply.
www.ahsupply.com.
They do require assembly. You can call Kim at AH Supply and tell him what you have, he is very helpful!

Do the lights you have on the 20 gal tank span the length of the tank ( side to side) so the plants will get uniform lighting?

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
Cindy,
Thank you very much for responding to my inquires. I know it is probably a little annoying answering the same questions to newbies all the time.
I will check out AHSupply because I will have to have them a special size (homemade frames) because the 29 gal. is Vertical and therefore the side is now the top. The light I have there now is the original 24" that came with the tank so it overhangs the edges.
The 20 gal. tank sits as an aquarium normally would so the light (18") fits from edge to edge. Since the light is so much closer to the plants than the vertical one is, I don't think I will have as much trouble with the light situation. In fact, most of the plants are doing quite well in that tank. It has been set up for almost one month now and is growing very nicely. 8)
Thanks,
Steve
Cindy,
I just purchased 2-36 watt lights for the top of the 29 gal-vertical from ahsupply. Tongue Now if that is not enough!!!
Thanks,
Steve
If you're on a budget check out these pc's
http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?Pa ... ategory=25
Hey Todd,

Thanks for posting that link. I haven't been to that site before, but looks like I might be placing some future orders there. Have you ordered anything from them?
By the way, I like the new aviator :wink:

Sorry Steve, didn't mean to step on your thread. I think Cindy gave you some great advice with the PC's. I'm sure you, and your plants will enjoy the difference they make.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020