Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats so bad about hybrids?
I'm a newb and people seem to be really against hybrids of PDFs. Why?
It seems like plenty of people are keeping pure strains - so as a long as a hybrid is labeled as such, whats the bother?

To quote Skinny Puppy: `Nature perverts itself. So it goes, so what the hell, let it grow.`

Not trying to start a flame-war, but as long as we keep the hybrids from the pure strains - whats the deal?

Jay
Hey Jay,

http://www.dartden.com/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=27

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Hope I'm not being daft - but that link just takes me to the front page.

Maybe you were refering me to the [News: 2 idiots in 2 weeks!] post? Smile
Sorry,
It was a suggestion to post this in the "newbie" posts.
If you have heard that hybrids are bad, you must have read some of the reasons people are against hybrids...no?

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
I belive I mentioned it was a bad idea in his question as to what "else" he could put in his viv (mixed tinc type species already in) I made the point of not mixing species that have the ability to hybridize, and that he should sperate the frogs to species specific tanks ie leuc's in one auratus in another.
The only reason I've seen is because folks don't want to flood the market with hybrids of hybrids, leaving the pure strains extinct. If its done well though, meaning hybrids labeled and seperated from the pures, why is it a problem? Are hybrids known to be genetically pre-dispositioned to disease? The only thing I can think of is if certain types of frogs are from areas in the world where they would never encounter the other type...

Thanks for helping out a newb.

Peace,
Jay
hey nice to see the skinny puppy...were you lucky enough to have seen their stage shows? anyway, i know you'd rather 'talk' than search, but really, do some searches. there has been so much discussion on this topic, sometimes getting a bit emotional, that people are maybe reluctant to 'go there' again. i had worked with killifish before, so had been exposed to this set of ethics before, but if you don't know definitely do a search.
Yeah - I'd much rather chat about my new hobby. There's plenty of info to research, but hey, I'm a people person!

Did you know cevin and ogre got back together and did a new puppy album? Its quite good IMO. I got to see cevin on drums for ohgr's project years ago in Minnesota, and then when they got back together under puppy I saw them July 4th in Anaheim, CA and then a few months later in my new home San Diego. Love those guys - great shows for sure. Hehe, even here in San Diego walking out of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy only four feet in front of me was Ogre himself. I thought I was tripping but when I got home later that day and looked up some pictures on the net I realized I lost an opportunity to thank one of my favorite artists for all his great work. DOH!

I'll take the advice and do some searching... thanks Mack.

Jay

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020