Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

albino Ranitomaya imitator "Tarapoto"- Pics
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
albino Ranitomaya imitator "Tarapoto"- Pics
My Tarapoto pair are producing some unusual offspring.

[Image: Tarapototad1.jpg]

[Image: Tarapototad2.jpg]

I have 3 of these guys in various stages of development.

I remember Cindy Dickens post about similar looking froglets. I wonder if she still has them?
Rick
Whoa, you're not kidding. That morph seems to produce more odd frogs....wonder why ?

Could that morph be one of the more "inbred" lines in the U.S hobby ? I honestly don't know...
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Phil,
I believe Cindy's Tarapotos are Tor Linbo line. Mine are Understory line. If you consider Understory imports to be F1,my female would be F2 and my male would be F3 from other unrelated F2 parents. There have not been any sibling pairings involved. I guess it is possible that the imports could be related though.
Rick
They look to be Albino, or proper term would be Amelanistic.
Bill Schwinn Wrote:They look to be Albino, or proper term would be Amelanistic.
Bill would you please enlighten me as to what is the difference? melanism i understand to be more of a darker pigment,amelanism? (sp),sounds without black,but what is the difference? i have never seen this term before
regards
Stu
Hey Stu, I am no scientist, so in laymans terms as I understand it is Melanistic would be black , and Amelanistic is the lack of Melanin, or black, then I know from my snake breeding you have Anerythristic which is lack of red, so you get black and white. Then if you cross Anerythristic with Amelanistic you get Double Heterozygous offspring which are visually normal however, they carry both sets of genes(Anery and Amel) when you cross the Double hets with each other the clutch should be 1/4 Amel, 1/4 Anery, 1/4 het, 1/4 Snow which I think would actually be your true Albino, White and pink where patterning should be. Are you confused more? My head hurts nowLOL!
Bill Schwinn Wrote:Hey Stu, I am no scientist, so in laymans terms as I understand it is Melanistic would be black , and Amelanistic is the lack of Melanin, or black, then I know from my snake breeding you have Anerythristic which is lack of red, so you get black and white. Then if you cross Anerythristic with Amelanistic you get Double Heterozygous offspring which are visually normal however, they carry both sets of genes(Anery and Amel) when you cross the Double hets with each other the clutch should be 1/4 Amel, 1/4 Anery, 1/4 het, 1/4 Snow which I think would actually be your true Albino, White and pink where patterning should be. Are you confused more? My head hurts nowLOL!
YUP :lol:
but its the thought that counts and you made me smile too !! but i have a basic grasp on genetics,understand punnets dom/recessive but not the snake guys terms quite yet, but over the next few days i'll have a look in a couple of mags,or this will end up in a high jack..
But i am really greatful for your reply,and for making me laugh
thanks mate
Stu
Adven2er Wrote:My Tarapoto pair are producing some unusual offspring.

I remember Cindy Dickens post about similar looking froglets. I wonder if she still has them?

Yes, I still have my group. It has been a couple of years since they have laid. The oddball froglets were very short lived however, 6 months max.
Cindy Dicken Wrote:
Adven2er Wrote:My Tarapoto pair are producing some unusual offspring.

Yes, I still have my group. It has been a couple of years since they have laid. The oddball froglets were very short lived however, 6 months max.

Thank you Cindy for the reply. Sad to hear your oddballs didn't thrive. Did they have trouble finding prey items? I've Read that Albinos may have vision problems.
Rick
New Picture. Just came out of the water.
[Image: Albino.jpg]
Rick
I believe that amelanistice is the absence of black pigment on the skin, a true albino would have no black pigment at all. It may just be my eyes or the way the photo is taken but that does look like a true albino, the eyes do seem to have that charcteristic pink/red glow

Ben
Hey how are the little fellas doing? Any updated pics?
Have you seen this thread?

breeding-eggs-tadpoles-froglets-f42/odd-tarapoto-imitator-tadpole-t3009.html
Yea but this one is newer lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
schreff Wrote:Hey how are the little fellas doing? Any updated pics?

Jeremy, It's about 3 weeks OTW now and seems to be doing great. I have it in a grow out container with it's (normal)clutchmate and plenty of springs. The second one just popped it's front legs and a third is coming along well. I let the parents transport their last clutch and they are raising the tads so no more eggs for a while. The ratio of albino:normal tads is about 1:6 The pair I sold to you have not produce any albinos BTW. I'll try to get some updated pics soon.
Rick
Very cool. I'm kinda hoping mine do though. I would like to have an albino.
This little one just came out of the brom. The parents just laid their first clutch, since transporting this one. The other two are doing well and growing at a normal rate. I still have another albino tad that I am raising.
[Image: Albino3.jpg]
This is the second one. It's about 1 month OTW.
[Image: Albino2.jpg]
Rick
Nice!!
The first 2 are now 10 and 6 weeks old. They're growing at the same rate as their clutch mates. The only difference I noticed is they seem to be less skittish than their siblings.
[Image: Albinoupdate.jpg]
Rick
Wow....interesting. Thanks for posting here Rick !
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020