Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Bubble tadpole Imitator Egg and Tadpole development
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bubble tadpole Imitator Egg and Tadpole development
After talking to my husband and kids, we pulled these two eggs a bit ago. That way we can watch them develop up close.
I just found these eggs yesterday, and am not sure how far along they are. They are also partially covered with algae from the top of a film canister.
Hopefully these will progress well!

[Image: Imieggs4282011edit.jpg]
Look to be a couple days old. Hard to tell but it almost looks like they may have been turned over. If so they will probably mold over. If not I look forward to some development pics.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
hmm. I carefully pushed them onto the leaf off the top of the film canister and I know I didn't flip them at all. In the pic of them on the film canister you can sort of see the line area forming.

If they are going to mold over will that happen soon?
unfortunatly they can mold over at any point but usually if its going to happen it will in the first week (in my limited experiance) you can try lightly misting them with a meth blue distilled water solution. I use a small spray bottle with a few drops of meth blue, just enought to turn the water light blue.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
At this point I haven't done anything special to them- just used the same water I use to mist the viv's with. I haven't been able to run out to a store the past few days.
They seem to be doing pretty well! I saw the embryos wiggle this morning while taking the pictures.
@6 days old-
[Image: Imieggs42920112edit.jpg]
@7 days old-
[Image: imieggsday7edit.jpg]

I know the photo's arent the best, but I'm trying to document all this for my kids classes, as well as some of our family, so I hope you guys don't mind me posting them on here still!
Don't mind at all! Looking great and developing nicely.
They are very active right now! While I was trying to get a good picture, they spun around several times.
Here's day 8:
[Image: Imieggsday8edit.jpg]
Day 9-
You can see an eye forming in this one!
[Image: Day9edit.jpg]
Day 10:
[Image: Day10edit.jpg]
Looks like you have a couple of healthy imitator tadpoles developing!
Good shot on day 8, you can see the gills.
Keep the photos coming.
I wonder if anyone has ever done a time lapse on tadpole development,
that would be a cool project.
Thank you Smile I spoke to my youngest son's teacher last night, and she was very excited that I was sending in these pictures.
I had someone suggest I do a time lapse, but we dont have a camcorder at this point. That would be really neat to see!! I've tried to capture some vids of them swirling around in the eggs, but this is the best I got. I dont have any editing software either.
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l56 ... moving.mp4

Does anyone know how to post working vids on here from photobucket?
[Image: Day11.jpg]
Nice Kim !

Great sequence.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thanks Phil!
I just got my lens filter set in, so here's a better picture for day 11 using a 10x macro filter.
[Image: DAY11usinglensfilter10x.jpg]
Day 12:
[Image: day122.jpg]
[Image: day13.jpg]
[Image: day14.jpg]
[Image: Day15.jpg]
Sometime during the tad the tad on the left broke out. I checked on them at 8:45pm, and spritzed the one that was still in the egg mass. A few minutes later it emerged from the egg mass as well.
Here's a pic of tad #1

[Image: Day15-tad845pm.jpg]
Not sure what happened, but both tads were dead this morning when I checked on them. I dont have any luck with tads, so I think I'll just leave them with the parents from now on. Sad Certainly not looking forward to telling my kids when they get up.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020