Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can i separate these pairs?
Hello.
I have three Dendrobates Truncatus and three Dendrobates Auratus in the same vivarium. At least one Truncatus has paired with one Auratus. Is it safe to seperate the species into different tanks after pairs have formed? And if it is safe, can the frogs re-pair of are the paired for life?

Thank you
Mixing has been discussed extensively. Here's a sticky on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4470
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
I have read up on the opinions surrounding hybridization. I want to put a stop to that happening in my tank. However, my question isnt about wether its okay or not. I am asking if i can safely seperate the differend species that have paired into different tanks. Will they miss thier pair and die? Can they re-pair (especially if more of the same species is added)?
I have shifted tinctorius pairings several times without any ill effects. I worry more about environmental stressors that would lead to an animals decline. Perhaps posting more information on your enclosures and husbandry practices would help ensure a smooth transition.
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
great. thank you. i will begin transferring them now. appreciated.
As a side note... How do you know they've "paired?"

What you probably observed was, in fact, aggression between the species. Long story short- you are only doing GOOD to separate them.
They were following each other around, touching. And they have been laying eggs from which I have tadpoles.
jereien Wrote:They were following each other around, touching. And they have been laying eggs from which I have tadpoles.

Ah. So they were playing nice... very nice. Feel free to ignore this question as I don't want to open a can of worms for you; What will you do with the tads?
If the tads are indeed hybrids, I have a little tank set up for them to live out their lives in comfort. They will be happy either way.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020