Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
computer fan in viv
Hey guys... I know there's been mention of using a computer fan for ventilation on this board (I've even seen a pic of a small fan in a corner of a tank with a wire "cage" around it, i think...

I've obtained a computer fan, but is there any specific instructions on doing this on the web anywhere? What I'm wondering most is how to get power to the fan safely. I know someone suggested using the charger of a cell phone, but this fan actually has three wires on it and cell phone chargers tend to have only two...

I'm not experienced with anything electrical so I don't want to take any risks... Any ideas?

Jason
that was my tank with the fan. if you go to an electronics place and ask they will be able to get one to match the fan i suggest just getting a fan with two wires. then get shrink tubbing and + to + and - to - shrink and go mine has been running well over a year strait in 85% humidity so it should work fine just make sure the volts mA are the same.
Get the fans with two wires. These are the ones without a temp sensor built in. I bought a variable watt adaptor from radio shack. Cost about 20 bucks. Cut the adaptor end off and connect the wires. If it doesn't run switch the wires. 8) Its really easy to do.
stitch Wrote:Get the fans with two wires. These are the ones without a temp sensor built in. I bought a variable watt adaptor from radio shack. Cost about 20 bucks. Cut the adaptor end off and connect the wires. If it doesn't run switch the wires. 8) Its really easy to do.

Wow... thanks! I'll definitely check that out... My friend who is a computer maintenance guy gave me the fan for free... I hate to call him up and be all, "Thanks for the fan... Now can you get me one with only two wires please?" but hey... I'll do what I have to!
I think i payed 6.99 for my fans at a computer store. If your friend is a tech he will not mind. I bet he has a ton of extra Old computers laying around. After writing that sentence i looked in the draw here and saw 6 fans, so....
One other thing. I went with the variable voltage so i can run the fans at different speeds. There is a little switch on the front that goes from 1volt to 12. I run my tank vent fans at 6volts and my lighting vent fans at 12. This helps with noise reduction as well, if its to loud turn the voltage down.
stitch Wrote:One other thing. I went with the variable voltage so i can run the fans at different speeds. There is a little switch on the front that goes from 1volt to 12. I run my tank vent fans at 6volts and my lighting vent fans at 12. This helps with noise reduction as well, if its to loud turn the voltage down.

Awesome!!! Thanks again...
I have been planning on using a CPU fan to pull old air out and pull fresh air through my back vents and using a fan inside to circ. the air./ keep the front glass fog free. Anyone have pics?

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020