Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D3monic's super build thread
As very few may be aware I have bought approval from the wife for another Rack in my man cave. Trust me she doesn't come cheap! Big Grin

This involved moving my computer desk up to our bedroom and completely re organizing my existing rack to make everything more convenient.

I have been sitting on several empty tanks for a few weeks now and finally got around to starting the builds. I wasn't thinking and did one tank instead of both at the same time.

This one is a 12x12x18 for the top shelf of my original rack. Will be sitting next to my Vanzolinii and escudo tanks and will complete my builds for this rack.

First of Many builds to come

First things first.

[SIZE="3"]Drilling[/SIZE]

I didn't have any plumbers putty but Play-do works just as well Big Grin

[Image: IMG_0726.jpg]

As always start at a angle until the bit begins to bite. Be sure to fill the makeshift reservoir with water to keep the bit cool.

[Image: IMG_0728.jpg]

Since I had a spare tank I was a little careless and drilled at full speed until through. Took around 1-2 minutes.

[Image: IMG_0729.jpg]

Installed the 1/2" bulkhead

[Image: IMG_0730.jpg]
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
[SIZE="3"]Fruit fly proofing[/SIZE]

Now as we all know one of our spouses biggest problems is rouge FF's crawling on them.

No matter what we do some will escape, its inevitable.

But I still try to minimize it.

First step remove the inside vent, on zoomed's this is one of the easiest escape points for even the largest ff's

[Image: IMG_0731.jpg]

I used a ultra fine metal mesh, don't ask me where I got it I don't remember. I ordered it quite a few months. I think Philsuma may have originally gave me the link but don't quote me.

[Image: IMG_0732.jpg]

Cut a piece to fit and glue in place. I used a hot glue gun and worked really well.

[Image: IMG_0733.jpg]

I tried putting a piece of airline tubing to seal the door but it was already a tight fit and I couldn't get the door closed. Realistically I should probably seal the top better as the stock screen top has pretty big holes but I lazy so no :p
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Background

I did not plan on doing an elaborate background on this tank. Still not sure what is going in it but most likely just a Varadero froglet growout tank.

First time I have used one of the fabricated bark backgrounds. Siliconed it into place.

[Image: IMG_0734.jpg]

Next step some Great stuffing.
[Image: IMG_0740.jpg]

I had to cut short carving it as my wife was sleeping and the kids where fussing and bugging me to play with them.

[Image: IMG_0745.jpg]

My least favorite part, covering the greatstuff with GE II silicone. Once covered with silicone I pack ECO earth substrate into it.

[Image: IMG_0747.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0748.jpg]

The finished product for now until it dries. Later tonight I will blow off the loose substrate and allow the tank to fully dry until tomorrow night before I start filling in substrate and ect.

[Image: IMG_0751.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0767.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0770.jpg]

Top left Vanzos, top middle Escudo, Top right new empty tank

Bottom left Varaderos, bottom right C. Valley imis.

Seeded with Tropical, pink and black springtails and a boatload of dwarf white isopods.

[Image: IMG_0772.jpg]

couldnt think of anything to really affix the plants to the cork board so I used staples until the roots take hold
Awesome ! Great build thread.

Thanks for posting !
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Picked up a new rack at Menards $65
A couple cans of GS, Home Depot I grabbed some Hoya and GE II Silicone

[Image: IMG_0862.jpg]

Swung out to Lowes today and grabbed a bunch of light fixtures and bulbs. Misc barb fittings. I am going to try using flex tubing instead of solid pvc this time around. Won't look as nice but I plan on doing the plumbing in the back of the tanks instead of the front and sides like the last rack.

Not sure why everyone was looking at me like I was starting a grow house

[Image: IMG_0863.jpg]

First rays- their version of hydroton, some net pots, 3 20x24 sheets of EpiWeb

Glass-holes- 5 1/2" bulkhead and strainer assemblies.

Air water Ice- new filters for my RO and two replacement filter sumps since they froze and broke the otherday.

Mistking- 6 single nozzles, 4 double nozzles, a bunch of different fittings and tubing.

Arse load of Ghostwood from Save on Crafts

Picked up another 12x12x18 zoomed. I still need two more and two large exo's 24x18x24" I am picking up at the wheaton show next saturday, Also some Benedicta and possibly a couple Reticulata from Chris Miller.

I got a 40 brom pack coming from Jason P, a large plant package from Chuck aka Manuran and I am picking up a bunch of Jewel orhids and misc pepperomia from Mike who will be helping Josh and Zack Vend.

I am getting really excited and can not wait until I get all the tanks here so I can get started on the builds.

Wired up a few of the light fixtures on the ever so empty Rack

[Image: IMG_0866.jpg]
Black clip fans from Bed bath and beyond......get 6 of them. They will help move the frog room air and you can direct them in a multitude of angles to even help with viv front glass condensation. Black clip fans are MADE to belong with Bakers racks and frog rooms.

On a "must have frog room scale of 1-10".....Black clip fans are a solid 9. That's how much I value them.

To my wifes dismay I decided to play around with making a moss slurry experiment

[Image: IMG_0858.jpg]

I used dry spagnum, a handfull of assorted live mosses from the Cristobal tank, Beer (because rotten yogurt stinks) and after the fact I remembered I had Kyoto moss spores so I sprinkled some on half the container so I could see growth differances.

[Image: IMG_0861.jpg]

Also, as much as I hate Easter I do love $0.25 bags of easter grass. Not as sturdy as excelsior but gets the job done not to mention pretty ups the frog room

[Image: IMG_0867.jpg]
EASTER GRASS !!!!

LOL...that's just.....wrong. :lol:

Philsuma Wrote:Black clip fans from Bed bath and beyond......get 6 of them. They will help move the frog room air and you can direct them in a multitude of angles to even help with viv front glass condensation. Black clip fans are MADE to belong with Bakers racks and frog rooms.

On a "must have frog room scale of 1-10".....Black clip fans are a solid 9. That's how much I value them.

Thanks Phil I will have to swing by there and pick some up. I was planning on ordering some computer fans and giving those a try on the 75gal.
Happy new inhabitant of the new build, along with a few more of his brothers and sisters. Working pretty good as a growout

[Image: IMG_0846.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0851.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0855.jpg]

Love the blue lightning bolt on this one. Hope it stays.
I was also bored a week or so ago and set up a much needed tadpole bin. I stopped pulling eggs for the winter because of the cold temps and how dry it was. I set a tad in a 16oz deli cup two days later it was bone dry .....I hate winter.

Any how its just a large clear rubbermade tub with a stealth heater in about 3-4 inches of water and egg crate base with the water level just touching the bottom of the cups. Water temps around 72.9-73.3

[Image: IMG_0819.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0818.jpg]

Nothing overly fancy but is getting the job done. Cups are full of water and a bunch of eggs are incubating in their film cans on the side. currently Vanzolini, Varadero and C. Valley Imis hatching out and a tad of each in the cups.
Careful with the fiberous waterplants.....duck weed killed 2 of my metamorph tads by tangling and drowning them. I found the bodies so I am 100% sure of this.

A lot of people tend to down play the possiblity of these animals drowning, but it does absolutely happen.

some thoughts...

I will keep that in mind. Usually by the time they are morphing out they have eaten the roots and the duckweed is pretty much gone or dead. Once the front elbows are bulging I move them to a morph out container.
Well, just got confirmation that I will be picking up a trio of Benedicta and a pair of Reticulata. One of which is a "white foot" next weekend.

Anyone have thoughts on a QT for the retics? They are 6 months old, I really don't want to put them through too much stress that a typical QT would provide. I have a 10gal that has a small log, lots of leaf litter and has been heavily seeded with several kinds of springs and dwarf white isopods in anticipation of getting some. It could use more plants though. Or should I go with the super basic with just a paper towel bottom and a few hides ? I can see stressing them when trying to collect fecals the other way.

The benedicta I will just do the way I qt everything else. 90oz container with a paper towel bottom and some pothos clippings.
I like to refer to those "snappy" 90 oz round plastic tubs as the " Frog heart attack tub"

Any clue why?....anyone?

lol, yea I can see why. I find that if you spin your finger all the way around the rim it pops off without hardly making a noise. I can always pick up some more 10gal tanks to use. I plan on having atleast 4-5 on the top shelf of the new rack as growouts anyhow. I did plan on using solid unvented tops for the growouts...should I use a vented top for the QT or do you think solid glass hinged glass would be fine? Also thoughts on the planted and leaflitter QT for the retics or just typical papertowel and pothos?
All of my QT containers are 10 gallons with a non-vented top (with the aquarium tops there is still some ventilation). I use leaflitter and some sprigs of pothos. It is easy to collect fecal matter from leaves.

When I use them for growout containers I put spaghnum on the bottom then leaf litter on the top.
This has worked for me. Smile
-Beth
Slight change in plans, Instead of doing the top shelf all 12x12x18's I have decided to go with a 24x18x18 and a 18 cube exo terra.

This way I have more space in the tanks to work with and so do the frogs. Undecided who will get the bigger of the two tanks, I am thinking retics in the 18 cube and a pum species or something in the 24"

I spent some time staring into my existing 12x12x18 and I felt that that size was just not appropriate for any adult thumbs.

Unfortunatly this leaves me with two zoomed tanks hmmm what to do with those.....
I had some name tags made for my tanks....I was short info on the benedicta and reticulata at the time of order but I can just add the final info when they get here. http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l56 ... 3monic.jpg

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020