Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

First time dart frog enclosure help.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time dart frog enclosure help.
Hello everyone. As the title says I could use a bit of help setting up my new dart frog enclosure. Actually I dont even have any if it yet but I have started ordering and like to have a plan before I start. What I am wanting to do is a small 12"×12"×24" (or something like that) enclosure for just one dart frog. What I'm looking at is a biobubble/wonder bubble with 12" clear extender.

The frog I'm looking at is a cobalt I think. Thats what the pet store said they are anyway. They are black yellow and blue with the blue being on the leggs and underbelly mostly. The rest looks like black spots on a yellow background.

What I have ordered so far is some: false bottom, ABG mix, long fiber sphagnum moss, and leaf litter.

I'm also thinking of using either natural or artificial wood to attach air plants to and provide climbing structure in the enclosure.

I've also considered using a small water fountain in the enclosure as I will not have a depressed pool into the water reservoir in the bottom.

So my first question is what is your thoughts on this?

My second question is. What are some smaller plants I could add to this enclosure that would be both suitable to the frog and the anesthetics of the enclosure?

Third question is if this does not sound viable at all can you give me some alternatives to the setup?

I need something small and I am not interested in breeding. I just want a cool little pet I can take care of for the life span of the frog. So hopefully 10-15 years.

Also I am wanting it to be small and attractive from multiple angles of viewing. Suitable for an end table or similar place so that I and guest and enjoy the enclosure and it's inhabitant.

Thank you for your time thought and consideration.
A Dendrobates tinctorius 'Cobalt' is a fine first frog choice and is most always a bold and highly 'displayable' frog.

If you are inclined to wait, surf this forum and locate some fellow hobbyists nearby, you may be able to obtain a froglet for as low as $25.00 or an adult or sub adult for only 10-20 more. Not saying all Pet Stores are 'inferiour' to our esteemed forum members....but....hey, make friends locally and you will have MANY more doors and frogs open to you.

12X12X24 is not too big, even for one frog. If you fill up more than 40-60% of the bottom of the tank with a fountain or water feature then you will be depriving the frog of that area as it will not 'travel and live' in water.

Read the sticky on 'I want a water feature' in the enclosure section on all the pros (not many) and cons (a ton), of a large or moving water feature.

Same thing as above for plants. Put a location in your profile and begin to network and contact some of the local guys and gals who will have a lot of plant and plant knowledge to share. Many hobbyists give plants and clippings away for free.

Above all, take your time and read, read, read and research before you pull the trigger on the actual frog. Set up the vivarium first and get a good handle on...Fruit Flies.

Best of luck and don't be shy to post.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thanks for the info and warm welcome. Ill look into those topics you mentioned. Also I know the store is getting them locally but I don't know if they are a member here or not. The store wont disclose the name if the person though for obvious reasons. They store has juvionals or sub-adults for $35 or $38 one or the other. I do not like some of their practices though. They have them all (3 similar species of "cobalt" in one highly populated show tank they cobbled together with local wild vegetation and moss. So idk about parasites. I can say that one of the species is berzillion yellow head from my research. And the their two are almost identical except one has slightly more yellow and also has yellow next to the feet.

Ill get some pics if I can tomorrow.

Do you think that if I can not contact a local breeder that it would be ok to get one of their frogs. And if so what precautions should I take?

Again thanks for your help.
Here is two pics of the frogs im looking at. Sorry the picture quality is low. They also dont do justice to their colors.
[Image: 851cad68fb31c09ca7c54c21fa335fec.jpg][Image: c7748fd3da77e96f8a9eb33030786002.jpg]
Buy from a breeder. Don't buy those pet store animals. Have patience and you will have a much better experience.

Thanks hopefully I will find one locally. How can I use the site the search for any here? Im on taptalk so that mat be why I could not find a way to do so.
Post a wanted ad in the 'wanted' sub forum for starters.

Ok I have done that. Unfortunately auto correct replaced a word in my title. Is there a wat I can correct the mistake? It should have said surrounding areas.
Ps. Thank you to whoever fixed the title of my thread.

Ill update this thread again when I start working on the enclosure.
Dan, Welcome to Dart Den! Glad you are here, I hope you can find a local breeder. That frog in your first picture is half dead, the second one I can't see very well. I feel very bad for the frog! It's front legs are terribly thin, it doesn't look good. Please don't make that frog YOUR problem!
I wish you lived closer to Illinois, I have several cobalt froglets coming up, and looking good. Many others do too, here on this site, so please be patient, I am sure you will find someone!
I am glad you have decided on a cobalt! I have a trio of cobalts that started breeding last summer. They are beautiful, active, and very bold. I think you will be happy with your choice, once you find a good breeder.
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
I got the substrate supplies today. [Image: b3fcd262d1fa15a3e30d9b44f18d8466.jpg]
Food for thought on the plants, I use a lot of odd miniatures I have collected over the years and I have found that most aquarium plants can be grown emersed, can stand the high humidity and low air movement that most vivarium's have. I have baby's tears, dwarf pennywort and a handful of others in that Nano viv I just planted and they do great with very little trouble - also they wont break the bank.

I have ordered frogs from a couple of the major online suppliers and have always been pleased, but I do agree it is better to see your purchase before you buy it. If you can find a show that is close to you, that may be a good place to look also.

Brooks
Just placed an order for plants from joshs frogs. I may have got too many now that I think of it. lol But if so no big deal it will just mean ill have plenty for when I upgrade (wife permitting). I should get them in 2-3 days.
Added a water access port into the bottom in the bio-bubble so that I can have access to the false bottom without disturbing the other levels of substrate.
[Image: 7bf78cdf40e66c29f88af5d880545c25.jpg][Image: 65d8481a51b4594e07ec8d5af8a2d355.jpg]
What's a bio bubble?

Dan1990 Wrote:Hello everyone. As the title says I could use a bit of help setting up my new dart frog enclosure. Actually I dont even have any if it yet but I have started ordering and like to have a plan before I start. What I am wanting to do is a small 12"×12"×24" (or something like that) enclosure for just one dart frog. What I'm looking at is a biobubble/wonder bubble with 12" clear extender.

The frog I'm looking at is a cobalt I think. Thats what the pet store said they are anyway. They are black yellow and blue with the blue being on the leggs and underbelly mostly. The rest looks like black spots on a yellow background.

What I have ordered so far is some: false bottom, ABG mix, long fiber sphagnum moss, and leaf litter.

I'm also thinking of using either natural or artificial wood to attach air plants to and provide climbing structure in the enclosure.

I've also considered using a small water fountain in the enclosure as I will not have a depressed pool into the water reservoir in the bottom.

So my first question is what is your thoughts on this?

My second question is. What are some smaller plants I could add to this enclosure that would be both suitable to the frog and the anesthetics of the enclosure?

Third question is if this does not sound viable at all can you give me some alternatives to the setup?

I need something small and I am not interested in breeding. I just want a cool little pet I can take care of for the life span of the frog. So hopefully 10-15 years.

Also I am wanting it to be small and attractive from multiple angles of viewing. Suitable for an end table or similar place so that I and guest and enjoy the enclosure and it's inhabitant.

Thank you for your time thought and consideration.
What I talked about in my fist post. Its an enclosure with approximately a 12" diameter. The standard height is approximately 15" but I am adding the 12" clear raiser to make it around 27" tall.

Its basically a clear plastic egg with base and small vent in the top that opens in the middle.
[Image: b4e9e78a4b6c235fb48af4eba5dcb9a8.jpg]
To complete the enclosure itsself I am adding the 12" raiser that i mentioned above, the water access I have already added, and a dome light in the top for plant growth.
I had ask before but before I get too far into it do you still believe this will be suitable for one dart frog. If the larger species like this [Image: 417b155c4aabf120793c4df23bf23949.jpg]
(Forgive me as I've temporarily forgot the name)
Is not suitable would one of the smaller species be a consideration? If so what are some good beginners for smaller species of frogs?

I would not go forward with this if its not suitable and would be detrimental to the frog.
That's a Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus" and that one's a female Smile. They will eventually get to about 40 to 50 mm in total length - a medium sized tinc.

If my math is right, a 12" diameter bubble is 113 square inches of floor space versus a 12x12 which is 144. Typically the smallest footprint I would recommend for an adult tinc is 18x18 or 324 square inches. Even then, I'd recommend heavy hardscaping an 18x18x24 to leverage vertical space and provide additional square inches higher in the viv. Unfortunately I don't see how you'll get any significant hardscaping in there to give you added usable space, so in my opinion this is not a good fit for a tinc.

Perhaps someone with thumbnail experience can chime in, but this may be too small for them as well (assuming you are converting with the cylinder option you mentioned). Maybe you could use it as a grow out or just a nice terrarium build for your desk without an animal.
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Its a thought. If not I may use it as a grow out. How long would it work for a tink as a growout?
I do have an idea to utilize the sides of the bubble and create ledges also.

Another option could be another smaller frog. On joshs frogs I did see a Reed frog that looked interesting. But I had not looked into it as I was planning for a dart frog.

Ill wait on a response about the thumbnails before I make a decision through.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020