Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Viv 20 Gallon High Build
Wow what a great article! I never realized their where so many different kinds of darts let alone just tincs! It's amazing there are so many with such unique coloring. Darts really are amazing no wonder there so easy to get addicted to Wink
What about thumbnail frogs I do find their small size quite adorable! I've seen them mentioned as an ok beginner frog is this true? Can they be kept in groups? I've read that it's not good to keep a pair in anything larger then a 10 gallon as it can stress them out. I think the would enjoy the more heavily planted viv since they seem to be a little more timid, but I heavily planted should make them more confident correct? I know behavior will different between every frog, so this would just be a generalization of what most people have experienced.
thumbnails are more of an 'intermediate' hobby-level frog. auratus and tincs and leucomelas being much more of a beginner frog. Thumbnails are small, more skittish, more prone to escape and hide, more prone to go downhill and die due to small size - these are all generalizations, but my firm opinions none the less.

#1 - buy WHATEVER frog you can get locally from someone you can call and meet and make friends with. If you are impressed with his accessibility and honesty, then you can be fairly certain that he will provide you with not only good animals but future 'customer service' and hobby camaraderie.

All things 'being equal', your frogs for that first viv you designed should be no more than 2 Tincs, auratus or Leucs or similar and not thumbnails.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4591
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Agree with Phil on max two of any large frog. I would add that you should ask about the lineage of any animals you buy. You indicated you wanted to breed, and when you come to the boards people are going to ask about lineage if you want to sell. There are shady vendors out there that are crossing locales and sorting animals by their appearance and it's easy for people new to the hobby to get taken and for animals of suspicious origins to get populated throughout the hobby. Like Phil said - open and honest ... about lineage too.
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
joneill809 Wrote:Agree with Phil on max two of any large frog. I would add that you should ask about the lineage of any animals you buy. You indicated you wanted to breed, and when you come to the boards people are going to ask about lineage if you want to sell. There are shady vendors out there that are crossing locales and sorting animals by their appearance and it's easy for people new to the hobby to get taken and for animals of suspicious origins to get populated throughout the hobby. Like Phil said - open and honest ... about lineage too.

Thanks I will be sure to ask about it and do my research before buying any frogs. Any good reads on genetics? Will tincs be ok as just a breeding pair or would it be better to wait to get tincs until I had a chance to setup a larger viv and can house a trio?
Thanks I've heard a lot of conflicting advice about thumbnails... Not to step on anyone's toes or sound like I'm not taking advice into consideration, but I may continue to do some research and ask questions about them. Please do not feel like I'm not taking advice or take any offense I have just gotten a lot of contradicting opinions and information on if thumbnails are ok as a beginner frog or not.

I'm not sure how to go about finding a local breeder I have been looking around, but so far I haven't found much. I'll be sure to keep looking and try and do my best to find one.

I looked in the thread here for shows Scott Smith's animal show in Wheaton IL is only about 2 1/2 hours away. Has anyone been how is their dart selection?
Hi, we've gone to Scott Smiths twice now and they didn't have any darts. Tons of snakes and reptiles. Lots of supplies, some of which are good for darts. An interesting show, but not if you're looking for darts.
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020