Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

i'm looking for blue / bronze auratus, any takers?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i'm looking for blue / bronze auratus, any takers?
I'm looking for some blue bronze auratus for my tank. I have not seen many pics of them, so any would be nice. I am a little new, so these would not be immediate purchases, but they are the frogs I REALLY want, :lol: so any info would be helpful. A price on them and some general differences from the normal Costa Rica auratus would be very nice. Big Grin Thanks!
Am I wrong asuming these are easy to find, or are they just a morph that nobody really takes a shine to? Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Big Grin
A breeder here in Toronto has blue/bronze auratus, here is a pic of one of the breeders. Shipping might cost a bit though.
[Image: bluebronze.jpg]
Tyler
i think it's not that people don't like the morph, just that they don't breed as easily as some. sean stewart has some for sale right now, and for a good price. check out http://www.herpetologic.net , and go to the very bottom of the frog availability page. they are listed under 'also available'.

make sure you're ready before actually buying frogs. you should have your tank ready and growing in, you should have quarantine enclosures ready with a plan for quarantine and fecals/medical treatment, and most importantly have your flies and other feeders well established. getting the hang of culturing bugs before getting frogs is the biggest favor you can do for yourself. good luck.
Thank you guys. I had not heard back from the local petshop. They have the Costa Ricans all the time, but not the blue/bronze. These are the frogs of my dreams. I plan to have the viv and the flys going before I get the frogs. What is a good quarentine measure, and fecals? :?:
Dj Smokey Wrote:Thank you guys. I had not heard back from the local petshop. They have the Costa Ricans all the time, but not the blue/bronze. These are the frogs of my dreams. I plan to have the viv and the flys going before I get the frogs. What is a good quarentine measure, and fecals? :?:

Dendroboard has a bunch of people selling various types of blues...
Dj Smokey,
we do not have any personal experience with the blue and bronze, however we do keep the blue and black. The blue and black are somewhat on the reclusive side, and we have heard that the blue and bronze are even more reclusive. So while they are a very nice looking frog, you might want to do some checking and see how "visible" these are going to be. Nothing is more frustrating than getting frogs and never seeing them.
for quarantine, this is what i do. set the frogs up in a sufficiently large container well furnished with plastic cups and leaf litter to hide in. i use unbleached paper towels for a substrate. collect fecal samples and put them in plastic baggies on pieces of damp paper towel. leaving some air trapped in the plastic baggie protects the sample from being ground into the paper towel. send the samples either to a local vet with herp experience, or send them to Dr. Frye (i use him). keep the frogs in quarantine, changing the substrate etc. as it gets dirty. if the fecals are clean, wait 3-4 weeks, then send another sample. if these are clean, send a third sample in another 3-4 weeks. after the third clean sample your frogs are ready for their new homes.

if you have parasites, you will need to administer the appropriate medicines as per the vet's instructions. once the meds are done, you start the process over until you get your three clean fecals.

i'll add that cindy is right. i've heard that the blue/bronze are bolder than most auratus, but i don't find that to be true. i have three of them, and they are very shy. translation: i never see them. if they are your dream frog, by all means get some...but braver frogs are more fun, in a way. i have tincts which are always out and in your face, and leucs are also supposed to be bold (i don't have any, so can't say from experience.)
I could not be happier with mine they are out all the time,I guess it really depends on the frogs as well as the keeper. I spend quite a bit of time in my frog room so I guess they don't see me as a threat and more as free foodSmile just my experience.

Thanks Scott

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020