Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for a moss vendor
anyone know of a java moss vendor?
I found java moss at a local aquarium petstore, but here is a link where i got some riccia and tawian moss( which i like better). Amy gave me a great price and a lot of moss !
Try E-Bay....I got some good moss - 5 pounds worth for under $30. It is not your "pillow moss" but is an inexpensive alternative....I put mine under light and gave it a good watering and it starting growing just fine.
http://www.tropicalinhabitants.com/ I have ordered from here before .. the java is growing great .. you get a big handfull for 2 bucks so plan accordingly
Does anyone know if it is likely to infect frogs with parasites/disease by using wild forest moss?
Hi, I'd not use forest moss due to the fact it will not do well in a tropical viv.
Java can be found on Aquabid and all plants can/should be cleaned with a 10-20% bleach solution and rinsed VERY well before introducing it to a viv. Letting it de-chlorinate 24 hours before adding to a viv is a good idea.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
any more suggestions for java moss or pillow??
RichFrye Wrote:Hi, I'd not use forest moss due to the fact it will not do well in a tropical viv.
Java can be found on Aquabid and all plants can/should be cleaned with a 10-20% bleach solution and rinsed VERY well before introducing it to a viv. Letting it de-chlorinate 24 hours before adding to a viv is a good idea.

Rich
rich...can java moss or say riccia be bleached like this as well? I have been seriously wanting an exact answer to this, and all i can get is.... it will kill it, or can not be done??? maybe the info i received was indeed inaccurate and would like to better know that it is indeed possible and still will grow and kill the potential hazards by bleaching it in a solution before introducing the plants into our vivs only to infect them.

I try to do everything as clean as possible. A bit obseesive about it, but it would be great if this can be done. how long do the plants need to be submerged in the bleach solution? thnaks rich, kristy Big Grin
is it ok to use moss that grows in the woods. I live in South Carolina and i have plenty of it.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020