Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first tinc tank
hi guys,

my tank is being delivered on Wednesday. It's going to be a great viv...30 inches long x 20 inches high x 12 inches deep. At the moment, I'm getting a materials list together and I'm wondering exactly what order I should do things in. I'll post my current materials list below:

False Bottom
plastic eggcrate light diffuser (Home Depot)
nylon window screen (Home Depot)
pvc pipe pieces (to suspend eggcrate) (Home Depot)
brown or black silicone (to attach pieces together) (Home Depot)

Background
dark coloured silicone (Home Depot)
disposable rubber gloves
Great Stuff spray-on foam (red or black label) (Home Depot)
razor blades
coco fiber (pet store?)

Water feature
Zoomed 501 turtle filter (to pump into sump) (If anyone knows of a retailer in the Vancouver area for these kind of pumps that would be great)
10 gallon sump tank
MiniJet 606 (to pump into tank)(these as well)
tubing for water feature and sump (Home Depot ?)

Now, I know these are the first three things I should be concerned about. But in which order? I'd like both of my pumps out of the tank as per this post.
That way if there is a problem I can deal with it without disturbing the frogs.

So should I install my water feature plumbing first and then the false bottom and background?

I know a lot of this is based on experimentation to find what works best for you, but I really wouldn't want my frogs to be punished for my lack of experience. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Mike Smith
[Image: 32gallon52inchh3po.th.jpg]
howdy,

i do the drilling for the plumbing first, and place any tubing which needs to be covered by the background. then do your background while the tank is still empty(except tubing taped into place). the false bottom is last. sometimes you need to make the false bottom in two separate pieces in order to get it into place if your background has much depth. this may affect the placement of your supports.

check out this thread about silicone. my home depot and lowes don't carry DAP. ace hardware stores usually do, or you can get it online.
http://dartden.com/viewtopic.php?t=1270&highlight=dap

i first tried to "cheat" using various methods to make vents for the front glass, including drilling the plastic piece of the fish tank lid. in the end it's much quicker,easier, and more effective to get a window screen making kit and cut a screen to size. REI sporting goods sells a mesh called "no-see-um mesh". this is the best for making screens. small fruit flies walk right through window screening material. if you get a kit which includes screen, just use it to cover the eggcrate for the false bottom.

hope this helps. oh yeah, if you don't have fruit fly cultures going, i suggest that you start well in advance. it takes some playing around to get it right.
mack Wrote:howdy,

i do the drilling for the plumbing first, and place any tubing which needs to be covered by the background. then do your background while the tank is still empty(except tubing taped into place). the false bottom is last. sometimes you need to make the false bottom in two separate pieces in order to get it into place if your background has much depth. this may affect the placement of your supports.

check out this thread about silicone. my home depot and lowes don't carry DAP. ace hardware stores usually do, or you can get it online.
http://dartden.com/viewtopic.php?t=1270&highlight=dap

i first tried to "cheat" using various methods to make vents for the front glass, including drilling the plastic piece of the fish tank lid. in the end it's much quicker,easier, and more effective to get a window screen making kit and cut a screen to size. REI sporting goods sells a mesh called "no-see-um mesh". this is the best for making screens. small fruit flies walk right through window screening material. if you get a kit which includes screen, just use it to cover the eggcrate for the false bottom.

hope this helps. oh yeah, if you don't have fruit fly cultures going, i suggest that you start well in advance. it takes some playing around to get it right.

Awesome, thanks for the tips mack! I'm heading to the hardware store today.

Cheers.
Mike Smith

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020