Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
natural way of life
i have heard allot of discussion on removing the egg and hatching them that way. i am a firm believer in the natural order of things. it usually makes for stronger animals. but i am fairly new to pdfs so i am just wondering if it is possible to leave it up to the frogs to take care of them. if anyone has advice ill take it.
Steve I am new to darts also and have wondered the same. If you go to www.tincs.com there is good discussion on it may be helpful to help the eggs out. It seems that there may be some chemical warfare between the eggs and tadpoles that have an effect when kept in close quarters, such as a viv. I have two tincs now that are getting close to breeding age. I do not have the setup for eggs now so I may leave them in the tank and see what happens. I do know that one of the big breeders that raises pums leaves the eggs in his tanks and picks out the babies after they have morphed and he sees them in the tank.

Mike
that interesting it nice to know im not the only one that has thought about this. i may have to do a little research. i will post any useful info that i find out.
It truly depends on the species. I have had my auratus lay eggs in the vivarium and I decided to give them a break so I left them in there. they hatched and I placed a cup of water in the vivarium for my male to deposit them in there. If you want the tinctorius group of dart frogs to "raise" the tadpoles on their own, you'll need a water source with a botanical factor in it. These tads are more of alge-eaters. They are also mostly canniballistic towards eachother, making their separation more logical.

Quote:I do know that one of the big breeders that raises pums leaves the eggs in his tanks and picks out the babies after they have morphed and he sees them in the tank.

The group that Mike menitoned with one of the "big breeders" is the egg-feeder group. It is a necessity for the tadpoles to develop to leave them in the tank. These aren't algae-feeders but in fact feed off of the eggs deposited in the bromeliad by the mother. Once they develop and then morph out you can then remove them from the tank since the care of the mother is no longer needed.
hawk,

are all the pums egg feeders?

Mike

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020