Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new here
Hello, i'm new to this forum, just wanted to say hi and show you guys some pics of my frog, clyde frog.

Thats him amuzed by his reflection.
[Image: clyde_frog_2.jpg]

Top veiw of his tank.
[Image: clyde_frog_3.jpg]

The front of his tank.
[Image: clyde_frog.jpg]
Oh, by the way how do sex an auratus?
Is this your only D. auratus? It looks like a blue, and doesn't seem shy. All of my blues are so shy that in six years, I've only spotted "Larry" three times. He (actually a she) seems to live in the basement and never come out. I got four auratus froglets six years ago. While they are all still alive, and sometimes I see them or dig them out of recesses and caves during tank changes, they are rarely out and about. I decided they were all females about four years ago, in spite of looking at body habitus and such, and thinking Larry just had to be a male. Maybe he's queer. The first year, one of them even laid some infertile eggs, but Patrick Nabors told me that they will sometimes do this, even without the presence of a male. They never bothered to do it again.

I don't think it is possible to sex a single dart frog of any sort except perhaps a WAG on tincs and azureus from toe pads, until they react to each other, call and do their sexy interactive things. If they call, they are a male, of course. If they don't, that proves nothing. Females tend to be fatter in the abdomen, males slimmer and perhaps smaller, but a well fed male can look like he's ready to lay a lot of eggs.

Get a companion for your auratus. Watch and see, and if nothing happens, get another. They are pretty good groupie frogs, whether they breed or not. Just enjoy it. They are fun to watch, whether they are male, female, breeding or whatever.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is my only auratus, I do plan on getting another once I get the money. He's not a blue just a regular green and black, the camera just isn't that great.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020