Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pumilio with lung worms
hey guys,
Id appreciate everyone's opinion on this.

- say I bought a pair of pumilio, and that pair was infested with lung worms before it was trapped and shipped off to me. would a male that had lungworms be calling nonstop,feeding and trying to court the fem, or would he immediately become lethargic,loose weight, and never even have the strength to let out some calls? why would it be that those frogs never showed any lungworm symptoms for a yr before going into new collection?

from stories Ive heard, this isn't the case with lung worm infested frogs
I'm not a vet but a frog can be asymptomatic for one person and then die soon after transfer. I've seen that happen quite a few times. just because the frog was 'fine' in your possession, then went down hill after transfer to someone else, tells us nothing without much more information.

Lungworms in heavy loads are def indicative of Wild Caught animals. I suppose a CB animal 'could' develope a heavy load - that could kill it, but again, IMO....lungworms in such a heavy amount would most likely be found in WC animals.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Phil is right. Im my experience with lung worms and pumilio, lung worms are indicative of wc pumilio Wink

Also in my experience. They can have a heavy load of lung worms and still act normal. Hell the male that I had someone send me called up til the day before he died. FYI he wasnt eating the entire time. I told you about that right? You should have remembered that bud Wink
Will
Good info on their life cycle here.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... oscijanovy

I personally have only had lungworms in WC animals, but it's not impossible in CB.

If you used Dr. Frye, it might be wise to ask him his opinion on it. Certainly he is far more educated on the subject.
I have seen lungworms in both wc and cb animals, especially when qt procedures aren't used and/or cross-contamination occurs. As others have mentioned, sometimes animals with bacteria, viruses, or parasites appear to be fine but the additional stress of shipping combined with the stress caused by these things results in the quick decline of an animal's health.

This is something that used to be much more common on the 90's and early 2000's when much of the good husbandry info and best practices weren't as readily available or developed as they are now. This is also one of the main reason's there are so few of the Nicaragua BJ's, histos, and other obligates imported in the 90's. Many came in with heavy parasite loads, viruses, bacteria, etc and never fully recovered. It could also be argued that their lack of proper qt and treatment resulted in frogs that were in mediocre to bad health, ultimately having a negative effect on breeding. But nutritional deficiencies and other husbandry issues also played a major role in the lack of breeding and healthy offspring from these frogs.
I have had positive fecals for lungworms twice in CB frogs purchased from 2 different breeders years apart from each other , both sets of frogs were fecaled and treated while in QT, both groups had hookworms as well.
All were under 1 year old. I have heard of WC frogs testing negative for parasites but the problem with WC is we do not know how old they are so if infected it could be a heavy load and damage has already been done when fecaled positive.
All frogs whether WC or CB should be QT fecaled and tested.
-Beth

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020