Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
very new to dart frogs.
I have yet to purchase any I have been looking at htem for years though. the petco near me is now stocking them. I have barking tree frogs and American green tree frogs I keep as a hobby right now. I do have a few questions I plan on having only 1 dart tree frog honestly I am not sure on the species they have so ill post a picture below. I was thinking of small zoomed viverom tank like the crested gecko setup they sell for 100 bucks. I do belive its 5 gallons I keep a American green tree frog in one of these and he does great. I know dart frogs will have a different setup I use exo terra monsoon mister for my 2 tanks I plan on hooking the dart frog tank to that as well. my question is will this tank be big enough? install of a tall tank like I would use for my green tree frogs. its 12x12x18. or would the 18x18x18 be better? more ground room. petco is having a black Friday sell 50 percent off all reptails and there tanks as well reason why I am going to purchase then. can you tell me what species this is please and if its ok to have just one? they all the same black and yellow coloring though the strips and amount of black and yellow is different just a little bit per frog [Image: 15685753667_6cabe4a1f1_s.jpg]IMG_1534 by j_picking@att.net, on Flickr
This frog is a Dendrobates leucomelas, or a leuc, for short. It is absolutely fine to keep only 1 frog, they do not need company. However, the more space you can give them, the better. A 12x12x18 works out to 11 gallons (empty) I believe, but by the time you add background, substrate, etc, etc, you end up with only 5 or 6 gallons for the frog. It would be much better if you could give it an 18x18x18--much happier frog!
I didn't know any petcos were stocking pdfs--of course I live in the boondocks, though, I am lucky to have a petco at all! You should consider posting what town you are in, there may be fellow froggers near you, you would be very lucky!
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
Thank you much for the info . I live in Sacramento California this is the petco on greenback in Citrus Heights a suburb of Sacramento they got them in a few times in a very limited quantity . There was a thumb size frog that I belive front part was blue back part was black and what species started with a m they had before this is the second time they got these black and yellow ones they only got 3 in the store. 59 dollars each but with black today it's 50 percent off.
Be sure to read up - especially the stickied beginner threads in that subforum.

I would advise you to also read the classifieds here and you'll find at least 3-4 of them are from CA and may be close to where you live or work. I would recommend buying from a local hobbyist instead of Petco. Even with the black Friday discount, you can get frogs from a local hobbyist and get outstanding 'customer service' and advice and assistance. It's also a good feeling to support the local guys.

I agree with Diane about the enclosure size. I would try to buy a bigger tank. Frogs do better in enclosures bigger than those 'nano' or teeny tanks.

Good luck and keep posting your questions and concerns and we will be glad to help.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Looks like a citronella tinc to me. I agree with Phil and Diane bigger is better, plus local froggers is the best way to go.
-Beth
I see Inferalanis.
Welcome to the hobby! It's a great move to start researching before your purchase. You have received great advice already, but I just wanted to point out an issue with buying frogs of unknown origin:

DianeCarter Wrote:This frog is a Dendrobates leucomelas, or a leuc, for short.
BcsTx Wrote:Looks like a citronella tinc to me.
Mike Incavo Wrote:I see Inferalanis.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

This is going to be your biggest issue with purchasing from a supplier that is not able to provide concrete lineage on their animals. The photo does look like some sort of tinc, but to me it could be one of a few locales, or *cringe* even a hybrid - you'll never really know for certain. That's why you are getting the advice to look for a local hobbyist or a well respected vendor with good feedback on the boards.

I would encourage you to research the different type of frogs out there and figure out which one is for you, then post a want post, check out the marketplace section of the board, or try a sponsor / respected frog vendor.

Once again welcome and good luck!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Could be Regina or giant orange. That's the point...don't buy pet shop frogs. Buy from a breeder you trust.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020