Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

wanted-highland sirensis/standard lamasi
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wanted-highland sirensis/standard lamasi
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any froglets that isn't asking an arm and a leg and my first born for these guys? I'd love to add them to my collection but not for $400-500 a froglet.

Tony
Supply and demand for these Tony. People are asking $4-500 bc people are lining up to pay it. With how many people are now breeding these the price will come down in a year or two. You might have to wait a little, but good luck with your search...
Thanks Craig. I know that is the case. I was just seeing if just maybe somebody was selling them for $150 or so. They would sell fast and a lot if they were that cheap.
Haha, I get it, but they're selling really fast at $400, so...

I know quite a few people that are breeding these now, some have 3, 4, or 5 groups. It's just a matter of time until there's more and the price will fall. Just like many others, azureus, Benedicta, orange lamasi, to name a few...
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Well, having had many, many groups of these (and never offering them for more than $250 a froglet) I can tell you that they are the very toughest thumb to breed consistently AND responsibly.
The fact that there is quite possibly only one true line here mixed with the general difficulties make for an expensive frog.
Anybody advertising these for $400 or more is gouging though. I went along with Pepper's crazy Benedicta (fant) price due to the fact money needed to be fed to that project. But $400-$500 is more than simple supply and demand , it's near rape.
They are awesome frogs and I hope to have a greater number of breeders next year. But it takes a lot of time a patience .
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
RichFrye Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Well, having had many, many groups of these (and never offering them for more than $250 a froglet) I can tell you that they are the very toughest thumb to breed consistently AND responsibly.
The fact that there is quite possibly only one true line here mixed with the general difficulties make for an expensive frog.
Anybody advertising these for $400 or more is gouging though. I went along with Pepper's crazy Benedicta (fant) price due to the fact money needed to be fed to that project. But $400-$500 is more than simple supply and demand , it's near rape.
They are awesome frogs and I hope to have a greater number of breeders next year. But it takes a lot of time a patience .

Yes, I agree, $400 seems ridiculous for a thumbnail...and it will seem more ridiculous in a year or two when there's a lot more of these guys around...

But I know how you feel about "gotta, gotta, gotta get em right now" too, and that's my point. Wait a little while and there will be some for a better price.
Rich that is a beautiful frog. Awesome pic also. How many groups do you have? They just have some a great pattern and color scheme.
cbreon Wrote:

Yes, I agree, $400 seems ridiculous for a thumbnail...and it will seem more ridiculous in a year or two when there's a lot more of these guys around...

Honestly Craig , I follow the general breeding of these and the supposed "new imports" and who is doing what...' Look , my lamasi have ten tads in the water!!!...and what seems like a lot of breeding right now turns into ' sucks, just lost my male' or, ' how do I cycle my lamasi back up, they used to breed like crazy!?'...
Lots more and lots cheaper next year? Not seeing it happen on any noticeable or lasting time period. Wish it were not the case. Best thumb ever.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
There was a breeding group in the VA area a couple years ago that yielded at least a dozen tads that I know of. I assume the two different breeders just f'ed up that group and it really amounted to 'diddly'. Sad.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
[/
RichFrye Wrote:
cbreon Wrote:

Honestly Craig , I follow the general breeding of these and the supposed "new imports" and who is doing what...' Look , my lamasi have ten tads in the water!!!...and what seems like a lot of breeding right now turns into ' sucks, just lost my male' or, ' how do I cycle my lamasi back up, they used to breed like crazy!?'...
Lots more and lots cheaper next year? Not seeing it happen on any noticeable or lasting time period. Wish it were not the case. Best thumb ever.
Lots more and lots cheaper next year? Not seeing it happen on any noticeable or lasting time period. Wish it were not the case. Best thumb ever.[/quote]

Rich, you may be right, we will have to wait and see. But for the first time in years, maybe ever, these guys have been popping up somewhat regularly at meets, shows, and classifieds. I know of several capable breeders with multiple groups that are producing tads and froglets and I'm sure there's at least that many I don't know about. Based on what you and others have said, I hope to get some one day...
I still doubt there are any more breeders than five years ago, relative to the size of the hobby...or they would not fetch $500 anywhere in the U.S.
I only have two groups right now, but quite a few tads and a few unsexed . I would eventually like to keep and breed about five pairs.
When they do cycle up they breed well. I once had a pair which laid good clutches on an average on once a week with two or three good eggs. A hatch out rate of over 90% and tad morph rate of the same. They did that for years and years. Died at the age of 13 years. Did not often or easily cycle down. And, their success is far from normal or average.
I once drove 20 lamasi to David Martin's MADS meet . I would say my average price for lamasi over the years would be about $175.
I guess I need to change that? Tongue :wink:

Well I think I've been bugging you for some for at least a few years, and just like Tony I'm not trying to pay $400, haha.
cbreon Wrote:Well I think I've been bugging you for some for at least a few years, and just like Tony I'm not trying to pay $400, haha.

What, and ruin your streak of 100% obligate / Oophaga only collection ?

There are exceptions to every rule :lol:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Philsuma Wrote:
cbreon Wrote:Well I think I've been bugging you for some for at least a few years, and just like Tony I'm not trying to pay $400, haha.

What, and ruin your streak of 100% obligate / Oophaga only collection ?

This is the frog worth the ruin.
Just goes to show you Craig, even the guys who have worked with them forever have dry spells. I think Darren no longer works with any .

the best my phone can do
[Image: 6u7ubahu.jpg]
Philsuma Wrote:There was a breeding group in the VA area a couple years ago that yielded at least a dozen tads that I know of. I assume the two different breeders just f'ed up that group and it really amounted to 'diddly'. Sad.

My group is still here and doing well
Glad to see a lot of people are having luck with these. It will probably be around 3-4 months when I will be looking to purchase some. So hopefully Rich you'll have some b/c you seem to be the one that is offering them for a reasonable price. I'll definitely get in contact with you when I am ready to get a couple.

Tony
Unfortunately , my wait list is closed and will most likely remain so for the year.
I want more breeding groups for myself , and when I do open the list it will be guys like Craig who have asked in the past who will be getting on the list first. This specific frog remains the most sought after 'established' frog in our hobby.

What is the reason for the title 'the most sought after' ?

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020