Dart Den

Full Version: Underwater heater with thermostat ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

tull777

Hello,
What do you think about using an underwater heater with this device...

http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.asp? ... tegory=357

It is a thermostat and I would like to use it to control the temperature of the underwater heater in my Viv. It seems like I could just turn the heater up and adjust the external thermostat.

Thanks!
Just curious as to why a heater is needed in your viv.

Rich

DartFrog

I use a underwater heater in my viv to keep the water temp up which helps keep the humidity and temp of tank up.

Mike

tull777

I am told that it helps in keeping the temp consistent and humidity up.

Your thoughts ?
Well, I would have to ask what the temps and humidity levels are in your vivs and what kind of lights are being used. You want to keep internal temps below 80. You also want a downswing in temps at night. Our viv temps run about 77 daytime and 67 at night depending on specie). Most people run into troubles keeping temps down, not up.

Rich

tull777

26-gal high bow face...24-inch 65watt Coralife freshwater aqualight.
With that lighting your viv will most likely be a tad more than five degrees higher than room temp (depending on ventilation and such). So if your room temps reach a daytime high of 73 or below you may be ok. The night temps should be able to swing down ten degrees. Unless your nighttime room temps go into the 50's, there should be no reason to use a heater. 65 watts is also more light than what is needed for most vivs. Darts do not need light ( not saying they should be kept in total darkness), only plants need light.

Rich

tull777

I don't want a bright washed out looking viv. Do you think the the 65watt is a bit to much? It is a tall 26gal aquarium.
Most all of our "show" vivs average about 1 watt per gal.

Rich

DartFrog

Rich,

This sounds like another good topic that could be put into some website. Is there any information on the ideal temperature for the different species. I would guess there is not a lot of difference but maybe some have had more success breeding at one temp over the other.

Mike
Mike,
While most "common" or "beginner" Darts like temps in the 60s range at night and mid 70s range during the day, there are a number of high elevation species that like cooler temps. E. silverstonei, D. speciosus, and a few Minyobates fall into this category.

Rich

DartFrog

I have never heard of Minyobates, are there many of them in the hobby?
Mike,
There are a few froggers working with them in the U.S., but not tons.
Rich
I would not use a fish tank heater....dangerous, prone to fail / overheat / break.

If your house is too cold (or too hot) ,you should rethink owning dart frogs.