Dart Den

Full Version: What is a proper Tank Size ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

reptilicus81

Hi all! I am an avid snake keeper, but I would like to venture into the PDF hobby. I am a biology teacher and I would like to have a classroom tank. I have three to choose from a ten gallon would be ideal for transportation purposes! I have a 15 gallon tall that would also be pretty easy to move around, and I have a 45 gallon hexagon, which would require a lot of help to trasport. I would like to keep a pair of auratus ...obviously I could expand on that number if I used the 45 gallon. What do you think would be best to start with?

Also, for two PDF how many fruitflies should I put in for them and should they eat daily or every other day?

Thanks,
Amy
Hi Amy,
welcome to the hobby.

Any of the tanks that you have mentioned will work for the auratus. A couple of auratus would be ok in the 10. Basically the only difference between the 10 and 15 is the height. The 45 hex you could house 3 or 4.

How often would you need to move the tank?

As for how many fruit flys, this will depend on the frogs. Juvi frogs will eat less than adults, but have a tendency to eat more frequently. A good place to start would be to offer them 10-15 flys per frog. This number can be adjusted up or down once you determine if they have all been consumed by the next feeding.
Also be sure you are dusting your flys with a good vitamin and calcium supplement.

reptilicus81

I am familar with dusting as we do this for our bearded dragon. I would have to transport them 4 times a year. I may set up the 45 gallon at my house and see how things work out... I enjoy PDF, so even if I can't make it work for school, it will be cool none the less at my house!

Amy

OutsidetheBox

Don't give away those extra tanks though, because it's a well known fact in this hobby that once you start, it's really hard to stop!!

reptilicus81

We have 30 snakes, so I know how hobbies are addicting! I have an extra nano cube I am going to convert to a frog tank for school later on, and we are currently setting up the 45 gallon hex for home. So far we have our 3 inch layer of gravel (which does make the tank heavy, but cheap), a fiberglass screen on eggcrate layer, and a 2 inch bed a beast layer. Tomorrow I am going to add the moss, plants, cork bark background, and water feature. Now, I am trying to decide if I want auratus or leucomelas! I saw 2 little leuc juvies hopping around at the pet store, and they looked so much more active than the auratus. I don't know if that is the norm, or just an individual thing!

Thanks,
Amy
Amy,
it is usually easier to do the background as your first step, this way you can lay the tank on it's back and have gravity work with you.

Some people say that the green and black auratus can be a little shy, however we have not noticed that in our groups. We have noticed the blue and black auratus are shy and less visible. Leucomelas are bold and always visible.

I would be careful purchasing the frogs from a petshop. Where are you located, perhaps there is a breeder close that you could purchase your frogs from. Herp shows would be another possibility for purchasing your frogs.

reptilicus81

I have my boyfriend to do all of the background work...they were out of cork bark yesterday, and he said it would be fairly easy to silicone it later on. Not as easy as it would be if we had it in step one, but it should still work. I live in Plainfield, Illinois. I go to Chicago Reptile House, and have been for over 10 years. I have about 20+ animals that I purchased there, and have only had good luck. If you know of any breeders in my area though that would be great. I would love to see if they had any bigger juvies.

Thanks again for all of your help,
Amy
Amy,
Pete Mertens is in St. Charles IL. He usually attends Lee Watsons Reptile Swap. He is a breeder, and also carries a few plants and supplies, good person to deal with.
Also, this coming weekend the MAD group is having a meeting at Pete's home. If you can make it, it would be a good time to check out his frogs, and meet some others involved in the hobby.
Pete does not have internet access at this time, but you can contact him at
630-479-3764.

reptilicus81

I don't think I could make it to the meeting, but I will try to catch him at the swap! We have been there several times in the last couple years.

Thanks again,
Amy