Dart Den

Full Version: Front leg problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

AdamBurnley

I have a 15 month blue and black female auratus that has appeared to have lost the mobility in her front legs and now has clouded eyes, and a sort of mucus around her body like she needs to shed her skin. She holds her legs close to her body and rests on her stomach similar to a froglet with spindly syndrome, but her legs are muscular and "normal". She has the ability to use her back legs, but chooses not too. I am not sure exactly how long this has been going on, but I did not see her for a week, so I tore up the viv and found her under some leaves. That was a week ago today. So somewhere between 1-2 weeks. She was housed with a male who is perfectly fine but has since been setup in quarantine.

The only thing that has changed would be that we went through a cold spell out here and the night time temp went dropped down to 66 for two nights. Other than the lack of mobility and the clouded eyes she breathes fine and is still on the slightly "obese" side. The viv is seeded with springtails, but I have not seen her eat. My first thought would have been a lack of calcium or vitamins, but my supplements (repcal and herptivite) are only about 2 months old, so not expired.

Any ideas?????
Adam, a temp drop to 66 should not be an issue.
What is your humidity at?
Even though you have only had your supplements for a couple of months, what is the actual expiration date ( should be printed on the side of the containers)?
You mentioned the frogs were about 15 months old, how long have you had these frogs?
Where did you get the frog? Their is a supplier where they make sure only frogs with strong legs are shipped out to potential buyers by putting them on a vertical slop tank so only ones with strong legs survive. I noticed that some of their frogs choose not to use their front legs because of this. As for the other problems I regret that I can't help you with that.
~Peace
how is the frog? I know it has been awhile.
Is the male exhibiting any symptoms?
you can either contact dr. frye or dr wright.
the only issue I see with a drop in temp is if the frogs have been exposed to chytrid. its probably more prevlent than we think, thats not a normally bad temp, but if they have been exposed, lower temps will off set the disease. i dont think any of us will be able to provide anything other than insight. It does not appear to be a supplement issue but the only sure way is to contact a vet with experience. personally, i would slowly increase temps up to about 80 with a slow increase and contact a vet. i hope the frogs are ok now.
I know it can feel hopeless to have a sick frog or if anything happens to it. but dont let it get you down, just act quickly.
kristy