Dart Den

Full Version: Fecals Done While You Wait @ IAD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just trying to gage interest in getting fecals done by my brother at IAD at a discounted price. Instead of mailing fecals from your collection you could have them done while you wait and/or test new purchases on the spot.

Rich
Reply on Dendroboard:

Scott

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you be giving the frogs laxitives to hurry up the process?

I think it's a cool idea.

I assume you'd have a vendor table to accompish this?

s

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe you know we can't post on the Board Scott.

If there is enough interest my brother will be sharing a table.
I would assume that most of the frogs will poop in container from the time they leave the vendor's house/shop and the time they are sold seeing that most vendors are not from the immediate area. No?

If someone would like to pass this along to Scott, it's fine with me. Not sure if he reads Dartden or not.

Rich
hey rich,

me? man, i just can't get enough of playing with frog poop! are you going to be at IAD? i think i'm going to miss it this year, but if i manage to swing it i'll know to pack some extra poop!

i have a place to stay for NWFF, and hopefully will have enough to sell to split a table. i would also like to hit MWFF this year, as i've never been. will y'all be at either of these events?
Hey Mack,
I have yet to decide if I will be going to IAD , kind of depends how much work I get done here.
I will be at MWFF again this year. It was a great time and great turnout. You show show up. I can't speak for my brother though because his clinic is open Saturdays but now that I live here it makes things easier for him to make it.

Rich
Seriously, can someone tell Scott that if he has questions post here or on Frognet , I know he posts on Frognet, where I can answer them.
Scott,
I may or may not be going to IAD but will not be selling any frogs. I don't carry frogs on planes this day and age.
And how the hell would it be a conflict of interest if I were selling frogs? Because my frogs are "clean" and others may be "dirty"?
Sounds pretty funny bitching about medical testing although I guess some people can try to spin anything.
VERY sad if you ask me. Could it be a conspiracy to sweep "dirty" frogs under the rug?

Please pass this along.

Thanks,
Rich
No unhealthy animals.
There has been an interesting thread on Dendroboard about WCs , imports, farm raised , ect. not being allowed at IAD. After reading a post be Mellisa I am wondering how they test and enforce this rule.

. Healthy captive born amphibians ONLY. For more clarification:

No wild caught animals. No long term captive wild caught animals. No other animals from outside the U.S. (unless sufficient proof is supplied and approved before show time). No unhealthy animals. No other animals will be sold (Except those for amphibian food). No promotion of wild caught amphibian shows.

An inspection by qualified professionals and other vendors will be conducted before and during the show. Please take the healthy captive bred rule very seriously, it will be enforced If you have an

unusual animal or a first time breeding – the burden of proof is on you (photographs at birth, of mating, of parents, bill of sale, etc.). If you have a questionable animal that you cannot provide adequate proof of its captive breeding - don't bring it to the show! If you have an unhealthy animal – don’t bring it to the show! The IAD staff and MARS insist on maintaining a reputation for offering only the highest quality healthy animals.

Rich
A visual inspection tells very little about what's going on inside the animal.

311_dart

posted on dendro...
^ Thank you .
Rich
Hey Rich,

I don't know if you are reading the posts on dendro, but Ed brings up an excellent point which might carry to other shows if you are considering it.
Hey Mack, posted this on Frognet also.
Cut from Dendroboard:

Has he asked the IAD committee first? Anything out of the ordinary has to be cleared by IAD with the hotel and the various insurers.

Some of the demonstration workshops had to receive special permission from the hotel or the insurer or both... As an hypothetical example the hotel hosts banquets in those rooms, and the hotel may decide that they do not want fecals being tested in those rooms.. (hypothetical but the IAD committee would need to get the hoops jumped through to make sure its okay).
I would hate to see this also come up as an issue because there wasn't time to get a response from all of the parties involved...

Ed

Hi Ed,

So the visual inspection is OK but they may yell about more in -depth testing of animals who are most definitely going to be pooping while they are at the show , wether that poop is tested or not? Is there any handling of animals allowed at all?

Rich
If there is ANY handling of animals allowed at all what is to stop that animal from having fecal matter on it?
Yah, they'd bitch about doing a medical test by a licenced vet but not passing around a poopy herp. HMMM.
hey rich,

my family is in the hospitality business, and i've owned a food service business. things like animal shit really freak out inspectors, insurers, and therefore management. as a hotel owner it's very easy to say "NO"...it takes little effort, and covers your *ss. from a proprietor's perspective granting an oddball request is not worth getting sued by someone who gets sick and decides to blame your frog-sh*tty hotel, or to loose a license because an inspector stops by at the wrong time. this is simple fact and has nothing to do with frog politics. you know ed's a good guy who supports clean husbandry.

hopefully IAD, MWFF, etc. have a good enough relationship with whichever venues to pull the strings to get this to happen. like i mentioned in the other post, maybe doing the poop-work in a rented room would make things less of an issue. i sure hope it's possible in the end!

DartMan07

How much will it cost to get the fecals done??
Well guys , after talking to my brother and reading "conflict of interest" too
many time and the possiblity of my brother giving false information to sell
frogs I would not even have at the show and I don't plan on selling for quire
a bit (just settled into a space with three times the room for holdbacks) my
brother will not be attending or doing fecals at IAD this year. We may have
brought this up a bit late. Let's hope the kinks can get worked out for next
year.
I will be contacting Dave for info well in advance for this years MWFF. I have
afunny feeling that anyone confident in their collection's state of health
will not have any objections .

Rich
RichFrye Wrote:. I have
afunny feeling that anyone confident in their collection's state of health
will not have any objections .

Rich

I agree, I also would like to belive that most froggers would be adult about results of most tests...but I've also been around long enough to know that adults don't always act their age :wink:
I could see the hotels raising a stink about doing the tests, as mentioned, just the way they operate in general, but like you said, there is no real difference, if you look hard enough, I would say most of the frogs in a show will come with some crap in their containers.

I've got a great idea, get an RV (to do the tests in), park it outside of the hotel, and name it the turdmobile!
Brian, I don't think my brother would need a whole big old RV.
How about The Frye Fecal Fiat?

Rich

311_dart

^^^
Laughing out loud!

I want to see the logo for the Frye Fecal Fiat!

edit: spelling error
"I agree, I also would like to belive that most froggers would be adult about results of most tests...but I've also been around long enough to know that adults don't always act their age :wink:
I could see the hotels raising a stink about doing the tests, as mentioned, just the way they operate in general, but like you said, there is no real difference, if you look hard enough, I would say most of the frogs in a show will come with some crap in their containers."

Brian,
I guess my main point would be that if a vendor is fine with and comfortable with the fact that there are parasites, no matter what load, in his/her collection then they should also be comfortable enough with giving an explanation to someone buying them. I have had parasites in my collection, as have MANY other froggers. I deal with them as I see fit and can explain my thought process behind dealing with them. The idea of someone who has no idea of what is in their collect and has zero plan of action and is selling frogs to the public at a public show where disease could and is spread is a bit scarry. Chytrid is in the U.S. Dart hobby. This is fact. Only one disease on many.
A sign at my brother's table could have just read "Testing By Dr. Frye" . The vast majority would know what kind of tests or could ask to clarify. The salmonella warning signs on all vendors tables would scare me much more if I were an insurer or hotel mgt. than a "test" sign at a vets table.

The Fiat logo would look a lot like the Turdmobile logo, only smaller.

Rich

Rich
Fecal fiat...that has a nice ring to it... :lol:
Pages: 1 2