Dart Den

Full Version: Adding Dart Frogs to an existing tank ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kinipela

I have read a lot on here about not to mix different species of Dart Frogs. I have a D. auratus green and black. Does this mean I can not add a blue D. auratus down the road to the same tank ?

Would it make a difference if they were both female or both male ?
yes. you shouldnt mix because of cross breeding. even though they are all auratus they are different regions and such.

kinipela

does it make a difference if they are both female?
One of the main problem with 'mixing' different morphs/locals is the possibility of hybridizing, however if you have two confirmed females not really a possibility. Proceed with caution.
they may fight to the death, my females are very territorial.

kinipela

Does this mean that everyones viv only have 2 frogs 1 male 1 female? Can i put 2 or 3 femals of the same species in it instead. What should i do if i want more then one frog in a tank? :?:
you can have small groups. i have a group of five, but they are unsexed. i have had no problems so far and they have been together for about a month now. just do a 1.2 or a 2.3 group. thats what i will do when i want to start breeding.

kinipela

I dont understand that 1.1 , 2.3 thing. I noticed that is how it is posted in the section to buy them. Can you explain what that means please? Also I am still not sure if i understnad what unsexed means. Does this mean its a group that pick a mate? Sorry im still new at this
kinipela, the numbers denote the sex and ratio of frogs.
So 1.1 is
1 male and 1 female
2.3 is 2 males and 3 females
would be 2 males 3 females and 4 unsexed or juveniles.

Some frogs do better in male/female pairs like azureus. Other frogs like auratus, leucomelas, galactonotus, most phyllobates and epipedobates are tolerant of eachother regardless of the sex ratio.

kinipela

ahhhhhhhh ok that makes sense now. thanks!!