Dart Den

Full Version: How Much Food to give them ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

alex_azure

Hey Guys,

this may sound a little silly...
i feed my dart frogs fruit flies on a daily basis and maybe give them some small pin head crickets at the end of the month.
i usually keep about 2 fruit fly cultures but by the time i have used these up, the rest of the flies have not developed if that makes sense.
so there is always a time where they go without food for a day....or just maybe a very small feeding.
what do you guys do?
how many cultures do you keep at a time to keep you guys going?
my frogs are fine and well but i just dont want them to run out of food for long periods of time, im sure they will be fine missing meals for the odd day here and there.
your help and views would be very very appreciated and very welcome.
Are these adult frogs, or juveniles?

Which flies are you culturing, hydei, or the melanogaster?

Usually if you will get into the habit of setting up one culture every week, you should have enough of a back up supply to avoid any mishaps. One culture will usually produce enough flies to feed two frogs. It is always better to have too many flies than not enough.

my suggestion would be to double what you have then...to four cultures going at a time....making 4 new cultures from those every week. and the cycle will continue. like cindy says...its better to have too much than too little. I have several breeding pairs and groups plus extras....so i culture about 20 cultures every week....and as soon as i receive my shipment coming in of 8 more adults...i plan on culturing 30 cultures per week....for 2 adult frogs.....i would recommend however that you keep 4 cultures going at all times..just like cindy said...IT IS BETTER TO HAVE TOO MANY THAN NOT ENOUGH....you'd be surprised what two adults can eat. I also recommend melos rather than hydei as hydei can be more difficult to work with and take longer to mature and also i dont get what i want out of my hydei cultures.....100 ff versus thousands out of my melos. Big Grin

alex_azure

Cindy Dicken Wrote:Are these adult frogs, or juveniles?

Which flys are you culturing, hydei, or the melanogaster?

Usually if you will get into the habit of setting up one culture every week, you should have enough of a back up supply to avoid any mishaps. One culture will usually produce enough flys to feed two frogs. It is always better to have too many flys than not enough.

well thankyou very much for that info....much appritiated. i have updated my cultures to 5 now since this thread was posted. 3-melo's and 2-hydei fruit flies. i think this should be ok. thanks again.
I personally hate working with hydei....they are hard to feed out in my opinion but also good. melos are my fav. but keeping five all together with three melos plus 2 hydei should be good.....remember to culture the same from each culture each week till u have too many going. thats usually the rule of thumb Big Grin

alex_azure

kristy55303 Wrote:i hate personally working with hydei....they are hard to feed out in my opinion but also good. melos are my fav. but keeping five all together with three melos plus 2 hydei should be good.....remember to culture the same from each culture each week till u have too many going. thats usually the rule of thumb Big Grin

ok thanks very much i will do my best Big Grin
any ideas on my other question lol :oops:
"Stupid Question" is what it is called lol
No question is stupid in my opinion...but re-ask cuz I cant see any stupid questions Big Grin
Adult dart frogs can easily go 3-4 days without any food, in fact, a time or two of this type of fasting is good for them - Adult frogs, IMO as it makes them move, hunt and try to forage instead of "bellying up" to the old'e food pile.

That said, my personal feeding schedual is pretty random and thats also one thing I like about this hobby - you don't have to be obsessive about feeding. Sometimes I feed every day and sometimes I skip a day or two.