Dart Den

Full Version: Mixing PDF's with other Herps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Perhaps red eye tree frogs, newts or other amphibians or lizards? Is this do-able? I searched here, several different ways and didn't really find anything.

Thanks
You will be hard pressed to find an experienced herper here or on similar PDF related boards that will approve of such a practice. If you want more occupants in a tank than a pair of PDF's you should look into PDF's that can be housed communally. Not mixed morphs. multiples of the same morph.
Thanks Matty. My girlfriend and I are in the process of setting up a tank and were just wondering.
Construction journal to follow.... Hope there is interest.

Vivarium Concepts

Hello Thermal, welcome to the forum.

MattySF is spot on, not a good idea to mix anything with dart frogs.
There are many morphs that will do well in groups, auratus, leucomelas, galactonotus, as well as most of the phyllobates. Keep in mind that a a good rule of thumb is one frog per 10 gal size tank, and plan accordingly.

We would enjoy seeing pictures of your tank!
That's good to know. We have a 55 gal. tank and we'd eventually like to have as many of these little guys as possible.

busere

I've edited this post due to a change in opinion...I currently have RETF's and PDF's in the same viv, but will be separating them soon to to learning the right way to do things. Thanks for getting me straight on the issue of mixing species. :oops:
And remember that the "ten gal per frog" rule is very, very loose. I have quite a few 90s and larger that have two or three frogs , only. I would never think of adding extra inhabitants to these tanks. The size, layout, temps, and even plants all depend on the circumstances and inhabitants.

Rich
It's no wonder people get the idea it's Okay to mix species, I was down at Seaworld in Orlando two weeks ago. In a single tank, they had auratus, a golden mantella, azuerus and a few vents. Maybe eight froglets total in maybe a 20 gallon tank. They mostly looked to small to be adults. Thousands of people a week go through that exhibit each week. With at least a few coming away thinking that it's alright to mix species.
There were several other frog species on display all in seperate tanks except the pdf's.
True, many zoos, aquariums, and museums create an environment which is not healthy for animals in order to give the "wow" effect and generate $$$. They are businesses and not subsidized like they should be. There are way too many zoos and the like that keep intelligent animals, such as dolphins, whales, elephants, tigers, ect. , ect., in MUCH less than optimal conditions. So please do not use zoos as yardsticks for what is right and healthy for animals.

Rich