Dart Den

Full Version: Dart Frog Compatability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone have a compatability chart of which frogs can live together in harmony ? I was thinking about four or five frogs of different species, in one cage.
There is no such chart to my knowledge. You would be better of to consider which community dwelling species would be better for your set up. A groups of Leucs, groups of terribils, groups of auratus, imitators.
Mixing species has many down sides such as stress amongst inhabitants, hybridized off spring.

Do a lot of reading, and searching (first suggestion term "mixing"), establish a viv, and a food souce. By then you'll have a favorite community frog in mind.

Good luck.
how about these?........Map Tree Frog,Yellow Galactunotus,Blue Azureus,Bumble Bee Arrow and posibly a cobalt tinc .will they be a bad choice? i want a variety of colorfull frogs and i think it looks awesome not having all the same color frogs
it will look awesome until they start dieing. you cant mix really. the galacts would probably get bullied cause of their size, and the tincs and azureus could hybridize...or with the leucs.

you should take everyones advice, people have tried it before and it doesnt work. unless you are making a greenhouse for all of these to go in Tongue
Do a search on "Mixed species" ect and read for a few hours.

Then you will realize that you will most likely kill all your frogs....very quickly.

Start small with 2 same species frogs
thanks......ill pick one and stick with it!
sweet
in case of the little buggers breeding are D. Azureus,relatively easy to maintain?......i went to a local repile show today and there was a lady selling darts she said if in doubt just let the frogs do the job......is this an alteritive? im kinda sceptical of this. and really just want to enjoy the few frogs that i buy,not get wrapped up in breeding. but if i happen to get a pair and end up with tadpoles can i leave them to rear their selves? and give them fish food until they are big enough to eat flies? or will they eat unfertilized eggs from momma?

can any one give me any advice on D. Azureus specificly? i like the color.......
Was that show in Ohio worth it? How many vendors total and how many of those had frogs?

Azureus are a great first choice. Get two (02) 1/2 month old froglets from a seller you feel comfortable with. The shows are better than obtaining them thru the postal service as you can talk face to face with them.

and here's the best part....you can study them, enjoy them and learn everything you need beacuse they will not be sexually mature for about a year. You can fully concentrate on husbandry. No eggs for a year-plus!

Enjoy
oops...thats one to two month old froglets...NOT 2 week old, out - of - the -water froglets.

You want small froglets BUT well started...not tiny.

Savy?
the show was small but had tons of snakes about 20 vendors everyone had plenty to offer but im focusing solely on one tank for dendrobates so not much help found their ,there was one lady that had frogs she is with creativecaptives.com

can you actually let the frogs breed and take care of the young on their own?
It's nice to finally see someone take someone else's advice on the forum against mixing and stick with 1 kind of frog. Azureus are a great beginner frog, big, bold, easy to breed, and great color.
Scott
yeah ive went my own route when dealing with other stuff and found out its best to listen to someone thats done it before. i fed my savannah monitor live food when everyone said it would be a bad idea and ended up getting rid of it at 4ft cause of the bad temperment( it hurt bad to get bit!)

so ill take everyones advice to the fullest(so pour it on me!)
I've read several different places that mixing species can be done, but it requires quite a bit of space and quite a bit of research. Some frogs can definitely more aggressive than others, especially towards other species. Also your frogs will be more stressed when living with another species, leading to a higher risk of diseases, not to mention the risk of interbreeding. In addition, I have read that frogs can be more interesting in same-species groups and display behaviors that they would not display in a mixed-species group.

That being said, from what I have read, it can be done. Certain precautions must be taken including specific research into compatible species. Patrick Nabors at www.saurian.net has some useful information. If you are intent on doing so make sure you do not mix species that will be uncomfortable with each other (like any morphs of tinctorius or auzureus). Each frog must have ample space to make it's own, which can be helped by choosing some frogs with are more terrestrial and some which like to climb more. That way they won't be as likely to fight for territory. In addition, I have read that if you raise all the frogs together from the juvenile stage they will be less likely to fight. If you do add frogs after that stage you should move the tank furniture around to keep fights for territory less likely.

I would like to mention that I do not have any frogs of my own (I get my first frogs in March) and all of this is from various sources that I have read (and I've read a lot of stuff). The basic consensus seems to be that starting out it would be better to keep one species of frog.
here is an example of what the same species can do to eachother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3_an9CkK8
i have a trio (2 males, one female) that grew up together in a 45 gallon. not to mention a lot more difficult species than this.
think before mixing
just dont do it
the frogs will be healthier, happier, and live longer lives.
kristy 8)
p.s this is my video and i apologize that the clarity is off a bit. i am getting a new nikon d90 camera here shortly but this was taken with just a simple digital camera
kristy55303 Wrote:here is an example of what the same species can do to eachother.
i have a trio (2 males, one female) that grew up together in a 45 gallon. not to mention a lot more difficult species than this.
think before mixing
just dont do it
kristy 8)
p.s this is my video and i apologize that the clarity is off a bit. i am getting a new nikon d90 camera here shortly but this was taken with just a simple digital camera

Do same species fight more than mixed species?
georgiekittie Wrote:
kristy55303 Wrote:here is an example of what the same species can do to eachother.
think before mixing
just dont do it
kristy 8)

Do same species fight more than mixed species?

good question.
I have never attempted it, and intimidation can be a silent and deadly killer
no obvious fighting like what you see in the video
tiny thumbnail darts will wrestle like imitators and pumilio as well
i would imagine some species like auratus will be more compatible than tinctorius,pumilio, and imitators etc.
but then again hybrids are so frowned upon.
I just wouldnt take the risk of intimidation, fighting, stress( which can lead to opportunistic illnesses) or hybrids.
Some of these frogs can live into their late teens and some have even been known I believe to live 20+ years if taken care of properly
Kristy Smile
good question.
I have never attempted it, and intimidation can be a silent and deadly killer
no obvious fighting like what you see in the video
tiny thumbnail darts will wrestle like imitators and pumilio as well
i would imagine some species like auratus will be more compatible than tinctorius,pumilio, and imitators etc.
but then again hybrids are so frowned upon.
I just wouldnt take the risk of intimidation, fighting, stress( which can lead to opportunistic illnesses) or hybrids.
Some of these frogs can live into their late teens and some have even been known I believe to live 20+ years if taken care of properly
Kristy Smile[/quote]

I actually read somewhere once that mixed species can end up getting along better, especially if you stay away from species like tinctorius and azureus because they're not as worried about competing for territory. They suggested a pair of azureus and a pair of galacs or terribilis and imitators. I hear a lot against mixing, but it's usually hearsay, not a lot from people who have tried it. I'd be interested to hear first-hand feedback, either way.

http://saurian.net/htm05/froginfo_dartf ... gsCanIKeep

(it's under "combinations of frogs that may make good tankmates" about half way down the page)
Ultimately you will have to make your own decision, but personally in my opinion, there is no benefit. Maybe a good way to think of it may be to weigh the risks against the benefits. I know saurian has that listed, and Pat is a great guy, but I think many will disagree that it is a good idea or that it wont cause problems.

Kristy
think before mixing
just dont do it
kristy 8)

wow! that is awesome to finally see! i have never seen this behavior.thank you for the reference video! you should post it on db.....ohhh and just as an update i got three azureus!and will never attempt to do a mixed viv.it was a typical newby mistake.