Dart Den

Full Version: almirante pumilio info wanted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi my name is scotty bradley i am from springfield illinois and i am new to this site. I was hoping someone could help me on the subject of almirante pumilio. They are very different from my luecs and azureus. I cant find a whole lot of info about them. I recently purchased two pairs of them and am looking for some good experienced advice on caring for them so i can make sure they stay healthy. thanx....Scotty
They're much smaller (as you can see) than the frogs you're used to and will climb and squeeze out of small cracks in the tank if it's not sealed tightly around the edges etc, they're more territorial so hopefully the m/f pairs are each in their own tank, otherwise if you're used to keeping darts you should be able to keep them with common sense and more and more research, do searches on here and other forums for pumilio
yea I have each pair in there own fifty five gallon hoping my froglet output will be higher. I hear healthy bromeliads are one of the most important factors for health, lower stress levels, and breeding besides of course temp/humid. Is this true? Thanks for letting me know about the cracks.. I am going to seal that up right away! Any more handy advice would be appreciated. I will look this site over for some of the more simple care info. Just hoping to learn some tricks of the trade without having to many embarrassing mistakes!!!!!
You are probably aware of this, but you never know, so...please make sure you take your frogs out of the tanks before you use any chemical products to seal the tank. Just a heads up.

Also, head over to Dendroboard if you haven't signed up there. There are lots of pumilio keepers on that forum and they may be able to give you some detailed replies.

All pumilio use broms or small bodies of water to raise their tads. You will need to have some larger broms that hold a decent amount of water in the axil if you want to have breeding success.

Good luck with them - do you have any photos or your frogs or tanks?
Thanx for the imput everyone! I will try to get some pictures of my darts and their homes very soon!
You can also use a lot of film cans . I tend to use quite a few as most of my vivs do not have tons of circulation and broms tend to die off quicker than I like.
Quarantine is always at the very top of the list. Did you quarantine before placing them in-viv?
Rich
High doctor frye. I only quarantined the almirante for a little over two weeks My other dendros were quarantined for a month maybe longer because they were extremely under wait. As a matter of fact i had to have two of my azureus replaced in the first 24 hours. But i knew the owner of these pumilio and they were nice plump and calling in the first 24 hours. I know that doesn't make it right but didn't want them laying eggs in quarantine when i had two fifty five gallons full of bromeliads ready for a few months. I prolly should get fecals done on my other dendros because they were unhealthy from the get go and now i cant keep wait on them no matter how much i feed them. But like most newbies i was excited and didnt want to listen so i went with the first person that had the color i wanted. I am still learning a lot everyday. I never thought there could be so much to the hobby.Boy was i wrong!I really dont know anything about how fecals work. But from reading on this site i prolly should get them done. I havent dealt with disease yet and hope i dont have to.
Fecals are relatively simple to do. There is a great sticky on the other board done by Dr. Frye himself on how he prefers them. It would probably be a good idea to contact him and let him know they are coming so he can give you even better instructions. I did--he has the best prices by far.

And that's not Dr. Frye, but he does get that a lot. =)
D.almirante Wrote:High doctor frye. I only quarantined the almirante for a little over two weeks My other dendros were quarantined for a month maybe longer because they were extremely under wait. As a matter of fact i had to have two of my azureus replaced in the first 24 hours. But i knew the owner of these pumilio and they were nice plump and calling in the first 24 hours. I know that doesn't make it right but didn't want them laying eggs in quarantine when i had two fifty five gallons full of bromeliads ready for a few months. I prolly should get fecals done on my other dendros because they were unhealthy from the get go and now i cant keep wait on them no matter how much i feed them. But like most newbies i was excited and didnt want to listen so i went with the first person that had the color i wanted. I am still learning a lot everyday. I never thought there could be so much to the hobby.Boy was i wrong!I really dont know anything about how fecals work. But from reading on this site i prolly should get them done. I havent dealt with disease yet and hope i dont have to.

Lots of good info to be read out there.
You actually have dealt with disease if you have had two frogs die right off and can't keep weight on others.
My brothers contact info is on my website. He may ever honor the March special he was running if asked nicely :wink: .
Good luck,
Rich