Dart Den

Full Version: new to dart frogs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to dart frogs but have experiance with pac mans I am starting a setup fort darts and have a few question here they are
1. Can darts coinhabit with red eyed tree frogs in a 90 gal tank?
2.I have a 48" combo fixture that holds 1 floresent and 4 incadesent bulbs what would be a good combo of lights for darts in the 90gal tank. (48Lx25Hx18w) ?
3.what is the recomended temp/humidity for darts ?
4. Are fruit flies better than crickets for food ?

All info anyone can give is wellcomed and appreciated.
Thanks
darttkm Wrote:I am new to dart frogs but have experiance with pac mans I am starting a setup fort darts and have a few question here they are
1. Can darts coinhabit with red eyed tree frogs in a 90 gal tank?
2.I have a 48" combo fixture that holds 1 floresent and 4 incadesent bulbs what would be a good combo of lights for darts in the 90gal tank. (48Lx25Hx18w) ?
3.what is the recomended temp/humidity for darts ?
4. Are fruit flies better than crickets for food ?

All info anyone can give is wellcomed and appreciated.
Thanks

Hi and Welcome !

1. There are a lot of issues, considerations and potential problems to surmount before considering any mixed species tank, including one with the two species you have listed. It would be something to consider after one has several years of frog keeping under one's belt and not recommended for new hobbyists.

2. Dart Frogs are Diurnal (Active during the day) but don't bask per se, or need special lighting. Lighting requirements are more for plants and plant growth.

3. Good Dart Frog Temps are usually the same good room temperatures for your house - around 72-79 F during the day and a drop of 5-12 degrees at night are ok.

4. Fruit Flies are easier, cheaper and "better" to use as a feeder insect than Crickets.
Thanks for info, I was getting so much conflicting info from various sorces that I just want to be sure before making a big mistake ! There was even one site that said darts are completly nocturnal, I knew red eyeds were butt was not sure about darts,thanks for cleaeing that up. One more question I have but I'm sure there be more down the road is can you put different darts togerher if there is just one of each type in the 90gal
I would give the same answer to putting different types or different species of dart frogs together as my answer # 1 above.

There are hobbyists that have sucessful mixed species tanks and some Zoos have excellent displays but in both instances, the caretakers of those endeavors have years and years of experience, most likely a degree in biology ect and a lot more money than most hobbyists.

I would recommend starting with a single species of dart frog in a tank.

Did you read this, yet ?

beginner-questions-f27/potential-dart-frog-hobbyist-read-this-first-t4134.html
Thanks, I'll read that wright away.
That will give you a kind of a checklist, of sorts. Helpful to refer to , when starting out.

If you search and page thru the Beginner section here, you'll find 90% of the questions you asked answered or addressed therein. Try to look there first.

When in doubt as to if a certain question may have already been asked....no worries....just create a new topic / thread and ask again. Not a problem.
Ok thanks again. And thanks for such a warm welcome to the site.