Dart Den

Full Version: Feeder Insect Photoperiod ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pretty sure that many people have produced good info and theories why Fruit Flies produce and generally "do better" with a normal 12 /12 hour photo period - or close to 12/ 12 anyway.

My personal opinion on springtails is that they do NOT need a photo period to do well, in fact, most people say that springs do really well in a dim to dark environment.
With all the research I've done, I'm thinking that a photoperiod of 50/50 day/night is optimal for the Fruit Flies that we culture. Anyone have other perspectives ?
Philsuma Wrote:With all the research I've done, I'm thinking that a photoperiod of 50/50 day/night is optimal for the Fruit Flies that we culture. Anyone have other perspectives ?
I've never put cultures in the dark, but the pupa do seem to congregate towards the light.
I have always put new cultures in a closet upstairs the closet next to it is a hot water heater, been doing this for years, without problems. After around the 2 week mark I make new cultures with them and move the others to my frog room.