Dart Den

Full Version: Swollen Frog ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

nathanW81

Hey guys,
Im new to the dart frog scene and have taken this hobby on in place of my extremely sucessful (and expensive) reef tank hobby. I figured if i can grow coral and rare fish I should be comfortable with dart frogs. However, I have run into a recent problem with my first dart frogs. I purchased them a few days ago from the Herpetology lab here at Bowling Green State University and have noticed one of them is swollen looking. Its body looks as if its a balloon almost.
1. what can i do!!!
2. What caused this
3. Is this normal behavior since they may be stressed due to the new environment?

also they are very small...roughly the size of a quarter i would say...
Hi Nathan,
My brother is a vet and can be contacted through the website.
Good luck.
Rich

DartFrog

Nathan,

Often frogs with this problem have kidney or liver problems. They either have a problem with keeping fluid were it belongs (in their veins and arteries) or cannot excrete urine appropriately. Do you know the age of the frog?

Mike

nathanW81

well the frogs are maybe a couple months old. however the problem seems to be taking care of itself and the frog has returned back to normal. hopefully everything stays fine from here on out

DartFrog

I wonder if it could have been some kind of allergic reaction? Guess you will never know.

Mike