Dart Den

Full Version: Liverworts & Ferns milkshake method
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering whether anyone has used the milkshake method to seed their viv background with these plants. I want to give this a go but would appreciate any input from people who have tried this method before?

Ben
Hi Ben,

It's been years since I heard (or read) of someone here in the States trying this. I really think it just doesn't work.

Now....there was a product (dry) going around 2-3 years ago called "moss mix" and some people used it with "decent" results but for some reason, the product buzz died way down.

I did note there are 3-4 "milkshake" threads here on Dart Den. Hopefully someone will post here.
Thanks Phil, good to know, ill try another method unless anyone else can point me in the direction of someone who has had success with this

Ben
As I recall there were mixed results. Some folks used beer, buttermilk, yogurt, to blend with moss. Some comments were being made about the smell.
I don't think I have heard of anyone doing fern spores or liverworts though.

Phil, I believe the dry product that was being used was a polyacrylamide copolymer. This is the powdered stuff that absorbs water and turns to a gel, I think one of the brands is Horta-Sorb
Cindy,

The "Moss Mix" was something imported from Europe by Chris Dulany (Dart Frog Depot) a few years ago and was sold in Ziploc bags. I'm pretty sure it contained dormant moss spores and other small botanicals.

I have a pack of it somewhere in my basement. Looks like sawdust, somewhat.....