Dart Den

Full Version: coco mat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, Can anyone please tell me if they have had experience with this good or bad as a background? Thanks.
i assume you are talking about the ones used to line planters. i used some in a toad tank which was drier than pdf tanks and it held for a few years. if it stays wet and has any heavy plants on it i think it would loosen and come off with time. recently i'm using cork bark and some tree fern panels which i got before realizing that they are not a renewable resource. my next plan is to try cocoS fiber panels which are made for this application out of renewable coco fiber.

fishinmagician

I'm using one of those liners now on a ten gallon. I've had it up for a year. it's been pretty dry so far, but i just added a waterfall but the water doesn;t soak it. Ive hadn't had any problems thus far. the plants are light. Ficus and philodendron and such. I'm not crazy about it as far as looks, but it;s cheap and easy. I thought I 'd try it. I usually use cork bark.
Good luck Matt
Thanks for the replys guys

AceKing

I dont like it very much matt. I used it in some of my begginner vivs, and was glad to move on. I prefer Cork over everything but Tree fern fiber, and coco panels are starting to catch my eye. I dont think i would ever use a whole background out of either but maybe just a few pieces in the GS.
AceKing Wrote:I dont like it very much matt. I used it in some of my begginner vivs, and was glad to move on. I prefer Cork over everything but Tree fern fiber, and coco panels are starting to catch my eye. I dont think i would ever use a whole background out of either but maybe just a few pieces in the GS.

Jace,

Have you ever tried osmunda? I don't even know if you can buy it anymore, but I inherited a 2x2x4' block of it. I've been sawing off slabs for mounting orchids, but I might try it in a viv.

I'd suspect it would work similarly to tree fern (they are approximately the same thing), but the texture is much softer for osmunda.

AceKing

No i havent but im going to check some out.