Dart Den

Full Version: bake and boil viv items?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been making quite a few new vivs lately, have 3 under construction right now.

I have been boiling, baking, bleaching everything.

I gotta ask. Do you nuke everything before you use it?

Have you ever had a frog illness or death that can be contributed to not boiling store bought tree fern, bark, branches or other similar items? I hear on one hand that 400 degrees isn't going to kill a lot of stuff anyway but its better then nothing...
Hi there, out of reach,
Boiling and baking is good, bleaching, well, hope you rinse realllllyyyyy wellll...................IMO bleaching is not a good idea, hard to get rid of the residue.
What are you going to put in those 3 new vivs?
I'm just cleaning the plants in a watered down bleach solution, they survived and are doing well.

Moving darts into new homes. Went from zero to 20 darts in matter of weeks, now looking to get more........
outofreach Wrote:I have been making quite a few new vivs lately, have 3 under construction right now.

I have been boiling, baking, bleaching everything.

I gotta ask. Do you nuke everything before you use it?

I nuke wetted substrate, sphagnum moss, and leaf liter. Plants I bare root, soak in RO, bleach for 5 minutes in a 5% - 10% bleach solution and rinse. Driftwood and cork I just wash and rinse thoroughly (supposedly much/most is pre-treated before importation, and sterilization on a home scale is problematic).
outofreach Wrote:I gotta ask. Do you nuke everything before you use it?
Have you ever had a frog illness or death that can be contributed to not boiling store bought tree fern, bark, branches or other similar items? I hear on one hand that 400 degrees isn't going to kill a lot of stuff anyway but its better then nothing...

I clean,nuke,bake or whatever has to be done to make sure I'm not introducing any nasties into my vivs.
It only takes one time of not cleaning something and you go from 20 frogs to zero frogs! Even store bought stuff should be cleaned. You have no way of telling where that object has traveled or what it's been exposed to before ending up in your frogs home.