Dart Den

Full Version: 04 Mancreek froglet - Pic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fat and happy! Out of water on August 19 and put into a grow out tub on the same day.
[Image: 043.jpg]
[Image: 042.jpg]
[Image: 041.jpg]

Will update monthly till it is sexed
Too cute! When he/she gets a few siblings going, I'd love to be on the list...
Very cool Casper! Are those from the pair in your big 90gal - that viv has awesome brom spikes...
Yep, from the trio in the big tank.

But unfortunately i found it dead last night, bummed big time.

At a loss for why, thinking to many springtails in his tub. First 2 they produced died in viv after 2 weeks, that's why i pulled him. Going to go grab 2 ten gallons so the ones getting ready to come out of water have a bigger viv to escape the hoards of springtails better. Hell, he was already eating dusted flies, figured he was doing good...
Wow I didn't expect to read that after seeing those pics.
Dang, sorry to hear that, Casper!
I lost 15-20% of pum froglets when I pulled them 'right away". I leave all pumilio froglets in the main viv for @ 2-4 months and have not lost a single one.

Lot's of hides...lots of broms...lots of leaf litter.

Did you have it in one of those 190 oz 'heart attack' tubs ?
I was at 100% loss with leaving them in, that's why i pulled it. My male is a little tough guy, even though it is a 56 gallon column tank, that is extremely overgrown.

It was in a 190oz with turface, tree fern, crushed egg shells (for calcium), and 3 inches deep with leaf litter and some wondering jew clippings.
Not a small tank for a trio, but not big enough for the male. Has grow in a lot since pic, and 90% canopy with little to no light that hits the floor.
[Image: 2010-12-25141639.jpg]
I had a 1.2 group of cauchero and one or all of the adults would always pounce and step on froglets of all sizes, especially during feeding. In 1-2 seconds, the adult stepped off the froglet and went after other flies and so did the froglet, not missing a beat and no worse for wear.

I haven't seen adult pumilio 'kill' froglets yet.

Can you post a pic of your adult pum viv ?

I would increase the leaf litter - big mag leaves, 2 layers in some places and make sure there are lots of broms, hides and visual barriers.

edit...I see the pic now. Is it a 'new' tank ? Seems not grown-in. Very 'open'...

I would max out some more mag leaves and consider some more vine / shingling plantings.
Nice looking viv though.

I hate those 190 tubs....hate em. Pumilio need much more ventilation than Tincs, tinc 'types' IMO. Boxes and tubs, hurt em.
That was a year + ago. Cell phone pic 2 minutes ago
[Image: 2012-09-28_20-35-50_934.jpg]
ahhh....nice. Dagobah.

Hard to say why you are losing em' in the main viv....but I like to leave em in for a good long while.

Do you feed 'heavy' ? I used to feed all my producing groups at least every other day...always dusted with a rotation. I fed HEAVY.
I feed 2 or 3 times a week, just depends if they still have flies in the vivs. I always feed heavy, as i am always making a lot more cultures than i need. I dust 90% of the time with rep calcium plus. Weekly i reseed springs that are fed a diet of nutritional yeast , boiled egg shells and tropical fish flakes.

But i think the air flow definitely mighty have played a factor. That's kinda why i didn't get any 10 gallons tonight, I'm going to build the grow outs myself in the morning. Will do a build thread on them.
Crap! Sorry you lost the juvie Casper. I have pulled pum juvies at all stages of development, when 4 legs in a FC to when I find them in the viv with the parents.
Casper I use 10g as grow outs with sphagnum and some substrate well seeded with springs and white dwarf isos plus lots of leaf litter. I will say that some of my first time breeding pums this can happen, not always but sometimes.