Dart Den

Full Version: Testing for diseases ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I looked on here and couldn't find any topics about how to test your frogs. I was just wanting to know how would I go about testing my frogs if anything ever goes wrong or comes up? As of right now all my frogs are healthy and eating well. I just want to know just in case anything goes wrong in the future. Knock on wood it never happens.

Tony
I posted some basic information on common testing for parasites (fecals) and Chytrid / Ranavirus (DNA swabs) along with results here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7521
TonyI25 Wrote:I looked on here and couldn't find any topics about how to test your frogs. I was just wanting to know how would I go about testing my frogs if anything ever goes wrong or comes up? As of right now all my frogs are healthy and eating well. I just want to know just in case anything goes wrong in the future. Knock on wood it never happens.

Tony

Best husbandry practices dictate that you should test BEFORE anything goes wrong. It will help to prevent anything from going wrong. Yes your frogs may be eating well, but how do you really know that they're healthy? If you wait till they are showing signs of "illness" it may be too late to do anything about them.
Another factor is you newness to the hobby. You probably purchased frogs from "whoever" had the frogs you wanted. Did you quarantine them properly or just throw them into their vivs when you got them? Again best practices dictates putting them into QT and testing them before they go into their permanent vivs, that way if they need to be treated for anything it can easily be done in the QT containers. Now if they have to be treated more than likely the entire viv will have to be torn down, sterilized and rebuilt.
Try to find a local/ close vet.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4486

If none, or too costly google Dr. David Frye.
I use Research Associates Lab for chytrid/rana testing: http://vetdna.com/

and Milan Area Animal Hospital for Fecals / Dr. Frye: http://www.milanareaanimalhospital.com/

It is imperative to test and qt any frogs before introducing them into a permanent vivarium. If you find a local vet that does fecals, make sure you call beforehand and ask if they charge for the appointment along with the fecal exam. I tried a local avian and exotic vet office before and they charged me $80 for a visit and "fecal exam", which was far from helpful.