Dart Den

Full Version: I want to buy your frogs.... but
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am bored at work so lets have a discussion/debate.

You are selling 1.1 RFB Bastis you want $500 for them.

I contact you and say you need to ship them to me first then I will send the money.

Would you do it? Why or Why not?

-Byron
If you know this happened or was close to happening, then yes, lets discuss it....
Depends on the situation really. If it's someone who I've dealt with in the past, then yeah I'd probably do it and HAVE in the past but if it's a complete stranger I'd probably request at least half the money first.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk
Uh.... if they want the frog's now with no $ how can they pay for them later....
Sorry, this isn't a send me the frogs and I will pay you later kind of question.

This is a ... Send me the frogs I want to observe them before I make a decision.. kind of question.

-Byron
So you get someone's frogs, keep them for a while, and decide whether you want them? So the seller might get paid, might get double shipped and stressed frogs, might get dead frogs back, or might get ripped off? Sign me up, sounds like a great deal!
Actually if something happens, who pays for what? Frogs die, whose care is at fault. If the frogs or seller is that questionable, why make the deal? Sounds like a recipe for problems.
FrogOly Wrote:So you get someone's frogs, keep them for a while, and decide whether you want them? So the seller might get paid, might get double shipped and stressed frogs, might get dead frogs back, or might get ripped off? Sign me up, sounds like a great deal!

How is this any different for the buyer? Ask some of the latest posters in the feedback forum.

-Byron
FrogOly Wrote:Actually if something happens, who pays for what? Frogs die, whose care is at fault. If the frogs or seller is that questionable, why make the deal? Sounds like a recipe for problems.

If the frogs die it's going to have nothing to do with whether they are paid for or not. So as a buyer if I got frogs and they died less than a week after I got them. I would be pissed.

The whole reason I brought this up is because of the recent feed back about people paying for the frogs and not receiveing them. I am curious how many people would find it except able to make a transaction that favored the buyer.

BTW

Happy 4th everyone!

-Byron
The only difference is a payment can be disputed. That doesn't always work, but I tend to stay away from sellers that post a bunch of nuebie questions, and within a year is wheeling and dealing pumilio, or other high end frogs. If something doesn't seem right, walk away. Why would you make a purchase from someone you don't trust over the Internet?
If the seller has hundreds or thousands of great transactions and virtually zero negative feedback, should be a simple decision.
If the buyer can also produce proof of hundreds or thousands of transactions where he or she has received animals ahead of payment clearing and there is virtually zero negative feedback then it should also be an easy decision.
The latter is usually a bit less often to happen .
If you know and trust who you are dealing with then both parties, seller and buyer should be comfortable coming up with an easy transaction.
Depending on the shipping, testing, experience , etc. the seller should guarantee his or her frogs for a longer period than just a live arrival.
It's a negotiation and it depends on the power and circumstances of the seller and buyer. For me it would be no and I doubt many established breeders would take the risk I would be more likely to just drop my price and get money first. However if someone had no feed back they might need to pull something like this off in order to gain trust, especially if they are dealing with someone who already has a good reputation. Remember everything is negotiable.

The same exact sort of things happen on forums all the time. The difference and why this is sort of unrealistic is that usually people who have no reputation try to build it a little before they jump into a $500 sale. In the case of people not receiving frogs, once again its about power. The seller has some unique frog that they cannot get anywhere else. So the buyer has to take all the risks, and apparently was willing to do it, on the chance they will get the frogs. Doesn't matter if the seller has a bad rep if the frog is sought after enough.

Lets look at it simply if I, who has little to no feedback in the community showed up with Bastis and tried to sell them, you might want me to ship first. And since I am an honest guy I might send them to you if you have a good reputation and I really feel like its worth the risk to get me started (perhaps these are the only frogs I have breeding and I was hard up for money). Now if I showed up with blue bullseye historonica, you might send me the money first and I might not deliver for months and you might suck it up because you cant let the chance go. If I drag it out too long you may have no chance of getting your money back and will never say anything bad about me for fear I will not deliver and keep your money. This actually happened to me, was one of my first purchases in this community, a certain vivarium builder screwed me over and dragged things out past my chargeback window I kept quiet so long I regret it. All because I hoped one day he would actually deliver, it never happened.
My very first Dart purchase, I send money first as usual.
was a little Nervous that I was going to get burn, never bought a frog and never belong to a forum. All new to me. Seller reaches out to me and states that due to the weather shipping will be postponed.
Ok, no big deal. However, shipping was postponed more then 3 times. Now at this point I'm assuming that I got burned and I am trying to convince myself, no way why would this guy take a chance and screw me over. He is not to far from me, a short plane ride to a place I visit once or twice a year. It's a two way street I don't know him and he don't know me. Not that I am a tough guy but just like everyone, no one likes to get ripped off. The seller had limited feedback nothing negative. I took a chance. I'm glad to say I did get the frogs. Like Rich said, chk the forum on the seller, look at feed back and you will feel better and more comfortable dealing with the person.
However, here's the catch, sometimes you want a frog and there is no feedback. I myself
Have sold a few frogs. I really have no feedback and I would never sell anything that I did not have.
I'm an honest person like most of you guys. But I can tell the buyer from where I purchased my frogs and I can also tell the buyer the names of people who have purchased frogs from me in the past. Buyer be aware and ask questions.
I think pay first and receive frogs later is like anything else you buy on the Internet. The other way around just gives many unscrupulous people an opportunity to get merchandise and never pay for it.
Rich and Rudy,

This is exactly where I wanted the conversation to go. I too have been in that situtation with a Viv builder and a breeder. Both times I waited and got rewarded.

-Byron