Dart Den

Full Version: T5HO Bulb Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok guys, I'm having trouble deciding which route to take on this. I've got a 36" T5HOx2 light unit that I'm trying to decide on bulbs for. If it was another one of my aquariums I'd get a Geisemann Midday and a Geisemann Aquaflora as I've had experience with them and they grow my aquatic plants well. I'm not fond of the idea of the Aquaflora though as it emits a pink/red hue which looks very unnatural. Even though I will be adding the Current Satellite LED+ Flexible Strip which might off set the colors if adjusted properly. (http://www.bigalspets.com/satellite-fres...MgodKmcACg)

The main plants will be a combination of ferns, mosses, ficus and bromeliads

Here are the bulbs I'm looking at; what combination of the two would you more vivarium experienced people recommend?:

ZooMed Flora Sun - 5,000K

ZooMed Ultra Sun - 6,500K (full spectrum light with UVA)

Geiseman Midday - 6,000K

Geisemann Aquaflora - (Who knows what Kelvin)

Coralife Daylight - 6,700K

Coralife Colormax - (I can only find the nanometer specs 350-750nm)

I'm leaning towards a Geissman Midday and a Coralife Daylight (sole reason being that the Kelvin ratings are 700K in difference thus giving a larger spectrum of light). I could go with a ZooMed Flora (5,000K) instead, but I think it might be too yellow...Again, I dunno so I'm asking ya'll...

Thanks!
Why not go with a Geismann Aquablue (around 11K)?
The white should off set the midday.

That is what I plan to do.

-Byron
Just be careful to not have too much wattage. I'd stay away from HO lighting. Frogs actually hide more while exposed to bright lights.
Other than the color of the 11K's they don't do anything for the plants or frogs...

I thought HO's were the go to end all option at this point until LED's gain a little more technology and price drops...?
Interesting read, Thanks!
Philsuma Wrote:Just be careful to not have too much wattage. I'd stay away from HO lighting. Frogs actually hide more while exposed to bright lights.

Don't worry.... I have a plan.

Like 12% of a plan.

-Byron