Dart Den

Full Version: Slugs!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So to my horror slugs are becoming a problem. I'm not sure where I got them but in all honesty I did not serialize all my pants before putting them in the viv. By not doing this I must have introduced them along the line somewhere.

At first I thought it was just one. I caught it and fed it to my fish. A fitting end to the creature that was eating my plants. It was not big. Maybe a half inch in length. So with the removal of it I thought the catastrophe was averted, but that was just wishful thinking. I soon found another. It was smaller maybe 1/4 inch. I was still in denial thinking that surely the one I had got rid of before was too small to have reproduced and this must have been another that hitchhiked and after removed would be the last I would see of them.

I was wrong. I keep finding small baby slugs here and there. They are starting to inpact my plants significantly and I don't think picking them out when I see them is going to do the trick anymore.

So my question is, short of a complete redo what can I do to remove these pest?
You can try placing a piece of lettuce in the viv each evening and collecting what slugs aggregate there each morning. I also used a flashlight at night to hunt around and remove any I could find. In the end I tore down my 120 and re-planted and used new substrate to get rid of my problem. Sad
Almost all viv pests undergo a boom and a bust cycle. Like Jim said, use a piece of ice cold lettuce each night and augment that with 'hand squishing' via Kleenex, and then keep at it and await the 'bust' . Dry ice is goofy and not effective. A tear down for a small viv is a third option.
Beer makes for a good slug trap. Put it in a yogurt cup half full. The slugs are attracted to the smell crawl down into the cup and drown.

Edit** I'm pretty sure alcohol / Etoh, is deadly to amphibians. If they touch it or soak in it, they die. Do not let your frogs come in contact with any type of alcohol.
"Sluggo" used at regular intervals seems to keep slugs at bay.
I have not been able to eliminate them, but they do go away for long periods of time.
This has been my experience for the little, spiral snails too.
Yes you can say that again, I read that it can take 100 days for slug eggs to hatch. I found out the hard way after breaking down a tank and carefully cleaning my plants and disinfecting them. About 3 months after doing this I started seeing slugs again in the newly set up tank. AAAArrrg, needless to say I don't keep plants from infested tanks anymore.
Thank you everyone for your comments