Dart Den

Full Version: Poll - Guess the sex of these 2 basti's - Pics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

dmartin72

I have had these guys or gals, as the case may be, for about 1 year. Does anyone want to guess the ? I have never heard them calling. Also, would these be considered red or orange? In person the small spotted one is bright red and the other one is slightly orange. Thanks in advance for any help.

frog 1
[Image: IMG_3724.jpg]

frog 2
[Image: IMG_3723.jpg]

frog 1
[Image: IMG_3718.jpg]

frog 2
[Image: IMG_3722.jpg]

frog 1
[Image: IMG_3719.jpg]

frog 1
[Image: IMG_3717.jpg]

Patricia Slayton

I went for both females, but that's a guess comparing their body habitus to my two male/female pairs. Then again, if you haven't heard calling, one would tend to think females, as well. How do they behave together, or do you have them separated?

dmartin72

They are together and I have never seen them fight or call. Actually they are quite lazy. :lol:
Hi David,
Are these some of the newer imports or CBs?

Rich

dmartin72

Newer imports ("farm raised") :wink: from a year ago.
If they are housed in any kind of environment conducive to breeding, and I am sure they are David, I would say two females, due to the lack of calling.

Color is a relative thing with these new imports and pics can be hard to get true color examples.

There are areas with reds, whites, goldusts, and oranges all hopping around together.

Rich

AceKing

Hello. My guess is also two females. Especially the fat girl pic.

Bastis have always confused me.
What exactly is the right way to breed bastis. In the wild dont all colors come the same populations?

Dane

I get the best breeding from mine by misting once or twice daily and keeping them at 74 degrees. While tads are being raised, I sometimes up the feeding to daily as opposed to every other day (which I usually use).
Here's a look at some Stunning Oophaga pumilio bastimentos morph, circa 5 years ago, courtesy of the "way back machine" here.

Very cool to see some photo documented frogs - 2005 / 2006, in this case.

And check out the grey feet !