Dart Den

Full Version: Is fertilizer needed in the Vivarium ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I propagate plants outside of vivs and use cuttings in my tanks. i've got some plants that look like they need a bit of fertilizer, but i've been afraid to go there. I wonder if using fertilizer for watering (not foliar feeding) might be acceptable. to me it seems clear that using a pesticide (especially systemic) would never be okay in that the harmful chemicals are taken up into the plant and remain harmful. does anyone know if fertilizer would be the same? do the plants break it down effectively enough that cuttings would not introduce harmful substances, or do traces of harmful elements remain in the plants so that dead leaves etc. would release them into the viv?

Patricia Slayton

The fertilizers that have already been absorbed and utilized by a cutting or pot plant do not affect your tank planting. What you want to avoid is direct contact between artificial fertilizers and your frogs--i.e. those that are in the adhering transplant soil.
thanks patty. i also pm'd you.