Hi from a Newbie

Introduce yourself to the members. Any general Announcements.
Camper9030
Sponsor: 0

Hi from a Newbie

Postby Camper9030 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello!
Just introducing myself! We just got our first PDF and set up our first vivarium. I did a lot of research first but I missed this board! I think everything seems to be going OK for our new friends. It has only been a couple weeks but everyone is eating and hoping around. We are way out in the mountains in Colorado so getting things was a bit of a pain but I think we are managing ok! We have 4 juvenile Leucs together in a 24x18x18 for now, as they get bigger we may move some. How does the tank look? any glaring errors ?
Attachments
rsz_whole_tank_open.jpg

Camper9030

Re: Hi from a Newbie

Postby Camper9030 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:08 pm

I tried to keep our first viv pretty simple and not get too caught up in fancy construction. Next one I am planning to try to make my own background and be more deliberate in plant choices.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi there and welcome to Dart Den!

Your vivarium looks very good - excellent for a new hobbyist / first viv!

Make sure that you top has a glass lid on it that covers at least 80-90% of the screen, otherwise you will lose too much humidity, too fast.

Hand spray often and look for droplets on the glass sides and visually gauge your humidity - if it's too dry and the side wall condensation dries up in just a hour or so, you know you need to spray more and more often.

Don't trust those gauges. Cheap commercial gauges are inaccurate and crap.

Take a long look around this site, and pay special attention to the stickied threads. When in doubt, do not be afraid to ask any questions. You can tack it onto an existing thread that someone else started, or this thread, or a new one.

All or any of those suggestions will work out fine.

Phil

Camper9030

Postby Camper9030 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks! I do have a glass top and the sides do seem to hold water so I think we are doing Ok in the humidity department, I spray at least twice a day. I am home most of the day so I can keep a pretty good eye on it too!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:29 pm

another good way to measure, is to keep an inch or so of standing water in your false bottom. If that tends to dry up fast then you surely have a humidity problem.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:47 am

Welcome to DartDen! The first viv looks great!

Phil gave you some great tips on humidity. I can't tell from the photos if you drilled the tank or not, but keep in mind that as you mist and add water to the FB to keep the humidity up you may need to periodically drain water. You may need FB access (which may already be there and I just cannot see) so you may want to leave a section of the viv floor open with some kind of access (e.g. a pool or some kind of access port).

When you build your next custom background give some thought to using the vertical space in your vivs by using shelves and diagonal branches that encourage climbing. This will help you provide more usable space for your frogs. They will have more hides to retreat to, and they will have a variety of temperature and humidity conditions to choose from.

Well done! Enjoy the hobby and the forum. Good luck and post lots of photos!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Return to “Introductions and Announcements”