The Current State of the Dart Frog Hobby(?)

General Dart Frog Questions and Comments. Care and Husbandry
Frogopolis

The Current State of the Dart Frog Hobby(?)

Postby Frogopolis » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Over the last year I've been slowly selling or giving away many of my dart frogs. I've been doing this for a number of reasons including a possible work related relocation, failing health of close family members and general all-around burn out. When I started about 8-9 years ago I never thought I'd end up with about fifteen different species and close to twenty enclosures. I thought I'd be in this for the long haul - someone who would be there to continue all the frogs after the Apocalypse, when we finally did it, destroying the rain forest along with the rest of the planet. I even imagined myself climbing out of my bunker, pushing aside all the debris and carrying my plastic shoe boxes containing all the "red ones and blue ones" and their surviving tadpoles out to what was left of the world and begin in earnest to start all over.

I'm now down to a trio of R. amazonica "Iquitos" and a mated pair of D. tinctorious "Azureus". Once the end of September arrives and the temperatures here in CA have cooled down enough I'll put these last frogs of mine for sale and finally walk away from the hobby. No more mixing up fruit fly batches at midnight or traveling 200+ miles down to LA or up to SF to get fruit flies because my cultures mysteriously crashed. I still have five frogs left but the burden of fruit flies and misting systems is becoming less and less.

I guess what I want to ask is what is going on with the hobby right now - is it still going strong like it was when I started back in 2008? I remember back then there were at least five dart frog forums that were active and the hobby was in real high gear. Prices were coming down fast and those once rare and elusive species were becoming available and at reasonable prices. I've only recently began peeking at the few forums left and leaving a comment or two. I see Dart Frog Warehouse is still around and continuing their shenanigans.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or comments, especially about where they think the hobby might be going nowadays.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: The Current State of the Dart Frog Hobby(?)

Postby Philsuma » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:21 am

Real quick synopsis. The hobby now has access to large colombian obligates that are thousands of dollars each. The rest of the 'market' took a hit - pumilio especially. Imports of them are way down.

Facebook took over as the method of posting stuff choice. All the forums are almost all dead.

The hobby has possibly grown, but if it has, it is only a tiny bit.

Frogopolis

Re: The Current State of the Dart Frog Hobby(?)

Postby Frogopolis » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Philsuma wrote:Real quick synopsis. The hobby now has access to large colombian obligates that are thousands of dollars each. The rest of the 'market' took a hit - pumilio especially. Imports of them are way down.

Facebook took over as the method of posting stuff choice. All the forums are almost all dead.

The hobby has possibly grown, but if it has, it is only a tiny bit.

Phil,

Thanks for that bit of insight. I know you've been around the hobby for quite awhile. What do you mean by the market taking a hit? Was it prices, supply/demand, regulations?

The one species I wanted but never got were true Blue Jeans - either they rarely showed up or someone else snatched them up before I knew they were for sale.

I hate to get rid of my Azureus pair but I'm really getting rid of all my pets, except my old tortoise that I know will outlive me. If anyone reading this has ever thought of buying a mature pair of D. tinctorius "Azureus" you will have a chance to own a pair from good quality older stock if you buy mine.

It's a shame about the state of the hobby. Not just anyone can be a successful dart frog keeper/breeder. Dart frogs are unlike any other pet out there. They are not as forgiving as a guppy or a Leopard gecko.

Thanks again,

Return to “General Questions and Comments”