Sick and weak Azureus

Have a sick Dart Frog? Preventative, Treatments, Methods and Medicines.
_ld99

Sick and weak Azureus

Postby _ld99 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 pm

So lately my one frog has seemer a little out of it. When i put flies in he will sit there and after 5 minutes he will move and maybe eat one. Now whenever i put food in, he doesn't give it the time of day and just sits there. Im worried because he is getting very skinny and is getting to the point where he is too weak to walk. I have him in water mixed with dendrocare. Not sure if it will help but i thought its worth a try. Heres a few pictures. Thanks for the help.
https://plus.google.com/107785918218159 ... DJMqVWQ4ua

joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Sick and weak Azureus

Postby joneill809 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:14 pm

It looks pretty far gone. Is this frog isolated from the other animals? I'd get it into an isolated enclosure with thick leaf litter and a feeding station. You may want to contact Dr Frye and discuss your situation. He may prescribe metronidazole which is a antibacterial/ antiprotozoal/appetite stimulant that might help.

dr dot frye dot vetatmilan at gmail dot com

Good luck.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:51 pm

At least it has an upright posture and is holding his head up. The limbs are def thin and possibly 'matchstick' due to bad breeding or lack of calcium.

Try feeding small amounts of fruit flies. Try a banana slice with some fruit fly larvae on it. Try some springtails.

Try your damndest because you may only have 3-4 days until it dies at the rate its going / body size.

Time is CRITICAL

_ld99

Postby _ld99 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the help but unfortunately he didn't make it. The other frog is in great shape though. So I was wondering, could I introduce a juvenile azureus to the tank with him? Im not sure if he would be territorial or not. He is about 1 year old.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:08 pm

I'd run fecal tests on the remaining animal. Necropsy is a possibility but that will likely run you $100 to $200. Anyhow I would check out the remaining animal and ensure it is stable long term before introducing another animal. I would post information from this sticky here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5500
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:32 pm

I would recommend only same size frogs be kept together for a newer hobbyist. Stress is a killer and bigger frogs almost always stress the smaller frogs.

_ld99

Postby _ld99 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:56 pm

So say I ordered one from joshs frogs which come at about 2-3 months. Raise him for a month or two in a container until he gains some size then add him in? Also during that time I could observe the other frog and make sure everythings fine. Im planning on ordering 2 powder blues for an 18x18x24 exo terra. So I was planning on ordering the azureus at the same time.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:26 pm

It may be a good idea to find out what killed that frog before you get more.

Return to “Hospital - Stress, Injuries, Disease and Treatments”