Hydei at Petsmart

Culturing Fruit Flies, other Insects. Supplements and Dusting.
joneill809
Site Admin

Hydei at Petsmart

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Noticed these in the feeder display:
image.jpg

The price tag claims 500 qty:
image.jpg

Looking closer, I would not have estimated 500:
image.jpg

Anyhow it's good to see more variety in feeders in the local chain stores. I hope the quality improves a bit in what I saw, but they may have just been the remnants from an older shipment. Anybody else seeing hydei in Petsmart?
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

DianeCarter

Re: Hydei at Petsmart

Postby DianeCarter » Sat May 02, 2015 12:03 am

Yes, I was in a pinch with my flies and had to buy some of these 2 years ago, and again several months ago. Nowhere near 500, I think they mean the potential for up to 500, over time! ha ha, not quite. But it helped me get through a pinch. The production was really low, terrible, actually! They also have somewhat larger jars of melanos, which produce way, way better (if in a bind, nothing like real fruit flies in a 32 oz cup!)
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 am

500 flies would not 'fit' in that little vial. I agree that it IS good that major big box pet stores are carrying flies.

Dan1990

Postby Dan1990 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:49 pm

I got one and just left it open in the viv. Just to see what it would do I'd say before it all died out I had a couple hundred flys. Note some of them can fly and 2nd generation seems to mostly be able to fly.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:18 pm

You likely saw a better batch than I did. The remaining two cultures I saw had little media if any and only 50 to 100 flies. I would find it difficult to believe that vial as is would yield 500 flies but I could see using them as seed flies. But if you got fliers .... I know where to look now - I will see how they look over time and maybe my local shop will improve. I'm still glad to see them trying to stock hydei. :)

Dan1990

Postby Dan1990 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 pm

I got the best one of about 10-12 there. It had just started hatching ffs.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:51 am

Yeah it will be interesting to see what they look like after a fresh shipment rather than the remnants I saw. Did the one you picked up have much media in it? The ones I saw had about a quarter teaspoonful smeared near the top...

I've had flies shipped to me in these vials which I actually preferred. They were shipped without media to ensure they were not killed during transport by "sloshing" media, and shipping was cheaper (50 ct per vial). I like the idea of the vials. If someone can get non fliers it may be a nice way to pickup some seed flies for a secondary type of feeder fly on the cheap. I'll swing back by and see what the next shipment looks like.

Dan1990

Postby Dan1990 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:23 pm

I would say about an inch in the end. A kinda blue stuff (not sure what is actually in it)

Return to “Feeder Insects, Nutrition - How to feed your Frogs”