Proper top / Lid covering for tanks

Vivarium Plan design, "Build Journals", DIY, Viv Maintenance Issues.
joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Proper top / Lid covering for tanks

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 pm

I cut my exoterra glass tops about an inch short then I add a strip of solar screen material as a vent. I just squish the material into some silicone and I tape it off to get a clean line. I save the cut glass as a cover for the vent so I can adjust air flow through the viv.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I use this setup combined with some custom hoods that I build that help maintain consistent airflow through my tanks.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

ZenMonkey

Postby ZenMonkey » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Unfortunately the glass cover that came with the viv does cover almost all of it, but there are those holes at the back of the viv for tubes and such, none of which are being used. We're not going to cut the glass but instead drill a few more holes at the back. Also I just read that thread about CO2 and blowing into the vivarium. Right now I'm misting at least twice a day plus feeding every other day, so I'm going to try that. Hopefully this will provide extra needed ventilation while combating the SoCal dryness and/or AC. (Coincidentally it's humid this week and next, but that's pretty rare.)
A girl named Joey.

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Great design Jim, not much DIY skill required and adds some flexibility to control humidity via ventilation.
Scott - North Dallas

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:56 am

My plan for my lid is in three parts. Screen in the very front, then a piece of 1/4" thick glass fastened to a piece of plastic aquarium back-splash. The back-splash can be easily drilled. My question is how wide should the piece of screen be? 1/4 of the whole top?

I will be adding an automatic mister. I can also have a piece of glass made to fit over screen area that I can slide back or remove.

Sound good?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:28 am

I am a fan of the 'movable glass on top of screens' for starter tanks /exoterras that way, there is infinite adjustment that can be made.

I'd make the screen about 2 inches.

Last bumped by Philsuma on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:28 am.

Return to “Enclosures, Setup and Construction”