Custom ledge background build

Vivarium Plan design, "Build Journals", DIY, Viv Maintenance Issues.
joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Custom ledge background build

Postby joneill809 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:28 am

Philsuma wrote:Jim...please run a thread on your ventilation / fans. I see them in the smaller viv and they look cool.

:D I *just* realized what you were looking at. There are two PVC quick release couplers in the top of the viv that I was attempting to use to circulate water through the FB without drilling the tank. The pump was a fail so the couplers are currently taped shut while I rework my backup canopy with a new design :)

I'm moving to glass with a Gila frosted appliqué, and a 4" continuous screen vent up front that will be adjusted manually with different lengths of glass inserts that I can lay on top of the screen area. I'm moving away from the sanded Lexan due to concerns about leaching of BPA that I have read about since making the original hood. Though Lexan is easy to work with (I just cannot cut glass - I went through 3 sheets of glass for this project when I should have used one) I felt uncomfortable using it as a long term solution since it may have an impact on the frogs health.

I installed the glass last night and applied the appliqué tonight. I need a few days to let the silicone cure completely, but I think I may pickup a couple of blowers and try out the flush mounted air circulator we've been discussing in the other thread :)
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 am

RoadRunner1083 wrote:Jim, those galacs look great! And those vivs look cool together as well.

Thanks Alex! I'm getting anxious waiting for my LEDs to arrive to finish the hood. I can't wait to get these guys into the viv!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:21 am

My lights came in today! I now have the same lighting in both vivariums:

• front left - 13W JungleDawn LED
  • front right - 26W ReptiSun 5.0
  • rear left - 9W JungleDawn LED
  • rear right - 9W JungleDawn LED
Each vivarium is also equipped with blue LED night lights. Three timers control three sets of lights. The timers drive both vivariums:

• timer 1 - 06:00 to 22:00, blue LED night lights
  • timer 2 - 06:30 to 19:30, 2 x LED lamps (1 Exoterra hood per vivarium)
  • timer 3 - 10:00 to 16:00, 1 x LED & ReptiSun lamps (1 Exoterra hood per vivarium)

Here is the sequence of lighting conditions the frogs experience:

moonlight - timer 1 ON :: timer 2 OFF :: timer 3 OFF
06:00 to 06:30
vivs-lighting-night_1645.jpg

dawn - timer 1 ON :: timer 2 ON :: timer 3 OFF
06:30 to 10:00
vivs-lighting-dawnDusk_1629.jpg

full sun - timer 1 ON :: timer 2 ON :: timer 3 ON
10:00 to 16:00
vivs-lighting-fullSun_1628.jpg

dusk - timer 1 ON :: timer 2 ON :: timer 3 OFF
16:00 to 19:30
vivs-lighting-dawnDusk_1629.jpg

moonlight - timer 1 ON :: timer 2 OFF :: timer 3 OFF
19:30 to 22:00
vivs-lighting-night_1645.jpg

dark - timer 1 OFF :: timer 2 OFF :: timer 3 OFF
22:00 to 06:00
vivs-lighting-nightDark_1645.jpg
vivs-lighting-nightDark_1645.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 3320 times

:D Had to throw that one in there for good measure...

This project is nearing completion. I had to tune the external timer on the misting system. I incorrectly set it leading to excessive misting which melted a few Selaginella :( I'm going wait to see how they plants stabilize, then determine what to replace. Getting close!

RoadRunner1083

Postby RoadRunner1083 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 pm

joneill809 wrote: I had to tune the external timer on the misting system. I incorrectly set it leading to excessive misting ...

I know how that goes! Good thing my reservoir only holds 2.5 gallons!Hope everything stabilizes fast for you.
Alex
Just Starting....
Making a Viv for 2-3 Azureus

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm

:D yeah that was a silly mistake on my part. It has gotten really dry in my house so I added two more brief misting cycles (20 seconds) but the problem was I forgot to set the "off" time on the 6th program so it ended up running for hours! Ugh. Another perk of QT - keep you animals out of the viv until you are through making bone headed mistakes! :)

I have a feeling there will be a second round of plants ordered next week after I see how the current plants get situated.

trendkill

Postby trendkill » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Awesome stands.. and I love those moonlights! You have me seriously inspired for my next viv. Do you mind sharing what type and how many blue LEDs you're using?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Hey Nicole! Next viv? Heck you can retro fit a moonlight kit into this one! :) I have two sets of different blue LED solutions. The first (viv on the right) uses "tape" LED's that I bought on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/PPA-OLSHARGB-Acce ... B002CQ87MI

If you don't want the remote and the power supply you can pickup the tape by itself:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YT8KIY/

I find kits easier. I use timers, so I don't do anything with the remote, but I did install one on my fish tank that I used to adjust the intensity. The blue LED on the new viv on the left came from Todd at Light Your Reptiles (thanks Todd!). That one has more of a spot light effect where as the tape is more of an even distribution. I also applied a frosted appliqué to the canopy on the tape viv, so that softens it more (note the difference between the LEDs over the frosted glass in the rear and the ones up front that are over the screen vent):
IMG_1546.JPG

The harsher viv still has clear glass, but the LED's are much more powerful (I think all of Todd's LEDs go to 11 :D ). You can really see the spot light effect on the plant stalk on the lower left:
IMG_1545.JPG

I can't figure out what I like better yet - the soft blue is nice, but the blue spot lights are striking. I'll give it some time and see where I want to go with the new viv.

RoadRunner1083

Postby RoadRunner1083 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 pm

do you have the same fixtures off for dawn and dusk?
Alex
Just Starting....
Making a Viv for 2-3 Azureus

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 am

Yep. I turn off the Repti-Sun CFL and one of the LED's in one Exo fixture for the dawn/dusk cycles. In reality, it's just three different fixtures running on three different timer cycles. Two Exoterra hoods, one for dawn/dusk, one additional for full sun, and a set of blue LEDs. Here's a visualization of how the three timers work together (lower bands) and their cumulative lighting impact throughout the day (hours from left to right):
viv-light-cycle-graphic.png

I use cheapo digital minute timers:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-38425-Tim ... B0020ML73K

They hold up pretty well (yet to have a failure with 9 of these).

trendkill

Postby trendkill » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks Jim. I've been wanting moonlights for a while now.. just wasn't sure what to use w/ this size tank. My viv is in my basement on full display (our basement is like our living room) so I'm thinking the brighter, more spotlighted effect will look great. Thanks again for the detailed info.. greatly appreciated. :)

Chuck Lawson
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Lawson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Re: Timers... For whatever it's worth, I thought I'd pass along what I've been doing. About two years ago, I bit the bullet and bought a Micasaverde Vera z-wave controller, and have just been expanding my z-wave network with "outdoor" rated modules every time I need to add a new controlled outlet. All of my viv and houseplant lighting is on this, as well as all of the aquariums (except two reef tanks with Aquacontrollers), plus a good portion of the house lighting, door locks, etc.

It's a little more expensive for the initial buy-in, but the upside is that I've got a convenient web interface for all of the timers and other devices, can arrange them in groups or scenes, can switch them on and off with apps on my mobile devices, etc. There's also a lot of room to add automation with light sensors, humidity sensors, etc.

The whole thing has been a lot more bullet-proof than any previous home automation I've ever messed with. About the only thing I haven't been able to bring myself to do is put the misting timers on it, just because (however remote a possibility it might be) a failure could be fairly disastrous, but every spring and fall when the time changes (and the misting timers don't) I get a little closer to doing those too.

cbreon

Postby cbreon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Chuck Lawson wrote:Re: Timers... For whatever it's worth, I thought I'd pass along what I've been doing. About two years ago, I bit the bullet and bought a Micasaverde Vera z-wave controller, and have just been expanding my z-wave network with "outdoor" rated modules every time I need to add a new controlled outlet. All of my viv and houseplant lighting is on this, as well as all of the aquariums (except two reef tanks with Aquacontrollers), plus a good portion of the house lighting, door locks, etc.

It's a little more expensive for the initial buy-in, but the upside is that I've got a convenient web interface for all of the timers and other devices, can arrange them in groups or scenes, can switch them on and off with apps on my mobile devices, etc. There's also a lot of room to add automation with light sensors, humidity sensors, etc.

The whole thing has been a lot more bullet-proof than any previous home automation I've ever messed with. About the only thing I haven't been able to bring myself to do is put the misting timers on it, just because (however remote a possibility it might be) a failure could be fairly disastrous, but every spring and fall when the time changes (and the misting timers don't) I get a little closer to doing those too.

Wow, couple that with a lacrosse or other temp alert system (i.e http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.c ... _c_86.html) connected via your wireless network and you could theoretically get a warning that your frog room is getting too hot and turn on fans, shutoff lights, I suppose you could even attach your a/c to it if you really wanted the full control. Very nice Chuck! Like I needed more things to spend money on... :lol:

Chuck Lawson
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Lawson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm

cbreon wrote:Wow, couple that with a lacrosse or other temp alert system (i.e http://www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.c ... _c_86.html) connected via your wireless network and you could theoretically get a warning that your frog room is getting too hot and turn on fans, shutoff lights, I suppose you could even attach your a/c to it if you really wanted the full control. Very nice Chuck! Like I needed more things to spend money on... :lol:

Absolutely; there's also a whole plug-in structure for Vera, and a fairly active community of people hacking stuff together for it; you can get about as complex as you like. I also seem to recall that there's an interface available for the wireless weather gear that could be adapted, but I didn't look at it in any great depth. I'd better quit hijacking this thread tho (sorry Jim!) -- pm me if you have questions, or let's start a new thread or something.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 pm

Not a hijack at all! Phil wanted a thread on venting and cooling ideas and this kind of discussion is great! Maybe you can post some picks of your setup? I have given thought to a more sophisticated timer capability and it would be cool to see what you did. I have been thinking about adding a strobe hooking that into a mister to simulate a storm :)

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Lol I forgot what thread I was on! Anyhow I'd still like to see what you have done!

Chuck Lawson
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Lawson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 am

Not much to take pictures of, I'm afraid -- it's a single box the size of a small router (the Vera automation controller) on the local network, and then for outlets it's either modules about the size of a timer on the outlet, or (in some cases), replacement outlets with one plug being controlled. Device control is via a wireless mesh network between all of the modules. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never know it was there :-)

Here's a sample shot of the web interface; this is just status and device-by-device control, but it gives you an idea of the flavor -

aasdasd.jpeg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Well after much success with a large number of varieties of Selaginella in my first viv (and some cuttings in my grow out viv) I have been struggling with Selaginella in this viv. My Jori clippings are not looking good - not sure if I need to split those for transplant, but any of the stalks I have selected are struggling. My Selaginella erythropus were much larger this time around, but they are dying back slightly. I think they have stabilized, so we'll see how they do.

I had two varieties of Peperomia that were doing well, so I added a few more clippings and a new specimen for me - noid vine. I also transplanted a few Pilea involucrata “Friendship” and added a new specimen of Pilea - Jobe's tears.

Overall the Peperomia and Pilea varieties have done well for me previously, so I figure maybe it's instability in my temp and humidity. I added a data logger to this viv yesterday. I also complete covered the viv top with cut glass (temporary) for now to increase and stabilize the humidity. The logger originally indicated a drop during mid-day from 95% RH to 80% when I the front screen vented, then back to 95% at night. Not sure if this was the culprit for the demise of my Selaginella, but I've now got the RH in the mid 90's consistently. I'll try venting again once the plants stabilize. It's been about three days since the new plants were added and I have not seen any significant die back yet. Fingers crossed...here are a few shots:
viv-galact-20121216_2123.jpg

viv-galact-20121216_2129.jpg

Close up of one of my favorite areas of the viv - this shelf now contains Friendship and Jobe's tears Pilea, along with a transplanted Selaginella erythropus moved up from the viv floor. The Noid vine is also planted on this shelf and trained up the glass to the shelf above:
viv-galact-20121216_2125.jpg

Here's a shot of the main cork bark. I picked up a few diminutive $1 air plants that I stashed in some of the nooks of the "trunk". We'll see how they do.
viv-galact-201212116_2132.jpg

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am

Looking great Jim. VERY hard to believe it's only your what, 3rd viv built ?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 am

Thanks Phil! Yeah, my third ... but I'm a tinkerer so I tend to rework the few vivs that I have a lot. My azureus are quite tolerant of my meddling in their home, we'll see how the galacts take to my rearranging :)

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:36 am

I hope to have the humidity stabilized after redoing the top (permanent glass replacement of the Exo screen) and adding an internal circulation fan:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6876&start=20#p44898

The plants are stabilizing a bit following a bit of a die off. Has me questioning my green thumb, but I am determined to pull them through :) Seems like this one patch of moss likes whatever I am doing:
viv-galacts-moss1_2288.jpg

viv-galacts-moss2_2296.jpg

viv-galacts-moss3_2287.jpg

A few more selected plant shots:
viv-galacts-jobsTears_2291.jpg

viv-galacts-pilea_2294.jpg

viv-galacts-selaginella_2295.jpg

viv-galacts-stump_2316.jpg

I like the softened look of the night lights now that I added the privacy film to the glass inserts on the viv canopy. This gives a frosted look to the glass a diffuses light. The blue LEDs have less of a spot light effect now:
viv-galacts-nightFTS_2336.jpg
This is a pretty good representation of the intensity of the moonlights.

viv-galacts-nightStump_2339.jpg
A bit over-exposed but this photo gives you a better view of how evenly distributed the lighting is now that the frosted appliqué is installed.

Return to “Enclosures, Setup and Construction”