Cleaning glass on Enclosures also hardwater marks

Vivarium Plan design, "Build Journals", DIY, Viv Maintenance Issues.
Philsuma
Site Owner

Cleaning glass on Enclosures also hardwater marks

Postby Philsuma » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 am

Hard water deposits is usually the hardest to clean but I actually treat all glass issues the same.

I use a paint scraper with a FRESH razor blade and some water or perhaps lemon juice to lubricate the scraping.

And then scrape away! Razor blading fixes 98.9% of all 'glass issues and ills"

There are some who recommend a jewelry polishing compound and rubbing ect but meh....If the razor won't clean the glass nicely then it's into the recycle bin ya go!

Sherman

Re: Cleaning glass on Enclosures

Postby Sherman » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:00 pm

Hard water can etch glass causing it to be permanently marked (unless you physically polish the glass smooth again.). Spraying with distilled water will prevent this from happening.

That being said, I am a fan of the fresh razor blade treatment. Rubbing alcohol or Windex both work well as long as you do not "spill" it into the tank in any large quantity. I have heard someone joke that Windex is so safe they shine their frogs up with it before shows.**

**DO NOT shine your frogs with Windex.

DianeCarter

Re: Cleaning glass on Enclosures

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks for the quick advice, guys! And thanks Phil, for starting the new thread for me!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Cleaning glass on Enclosures also hardwater marks

Postby Philsuma » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:09 pm

IMO, Do NOT use solvents and cleaners to take off silicone, paint ect.

If it won't come off with a fresh razor blade scraper and a little water or lemon juice as lubricant...than I'd throw that glass tank in the recycle bin - especially if it's a 10, 20 or under 40 gallon size. Hard water is about the only thing a scraper won't remove. A razor blade scraper is one of the best tools on earth.

Return to “Enclosures, Setup and Construction”